1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm glad this forum is here.

I just picked up an 82 GL500 with a lot of water mixed in with the oil. 19k

Immediate thought was a blown head gasket., But the bike runs too good.

So i did a compression test on both cylinders. 150 lbs in one, 151 lbs in the other.

I'm guessing the next thing I should do is check the water pump oil seal.

Does any one know a test for this, without pulling out the engine?

Also, is there something else that I could be overlooking, if so ... what kind of tests should I do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant in the oil is all bad, if in fact that is what you have. After running and warmed up the oil will be frothy/milky, and the oil properties all go out the window, and the oil becomes useless. Bearing are all designed with the oil ratings in mind, and the emulisification that occurs with coolant changes the oils ratings big time.

A couple questions...

Is the oil level higher than it should be, and at the same time, is your coolant level lower than it should be?

What does the coolant look like? Is it like coffee, or is it pure glycol, clear, and all the stuff good clean glycol should be?

Have you changed the oil to see if you had moisture ingress of some sort?

Others will have better insight as to the water & oil sides of the motor, as well as points of coolant ingress. I would guess a head gasket failure, but the compression check says otherwise...

for now I would probably suggest not riding until you get this sorted out, as you can spin a bearing or worse can happen to the motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rick,

The bike had sat for 3 years,. The previous owner thought it might have been a head gasket leak or water pump issue.

The oil now looks like a chocolate milk shake. I just put water in the reserve tank, and then started it up.

That tank had been previously dry. Before starting it, I pulled the dip stick, and it looked like reasonably healthy oil. I ran the bike up and down the street about a mile or so.

Now the oil is over full and chocolate lokking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are great. I found the weep hole, and can see dried dirty water streaks. So i will read on to the links you have given me on servicing the back of the emgine.

I've pulled bike engines before, and after fimding and downloading a service manual i should be ok.

There is a seal kit on ebay for 29.00 especialy for cx and gl 500's has o rings with it too, as well as cam seal along with the waterpump oil seal . Any thoughts??

Also, it sounds like the mechanical seal last a lot longer,

But what is your feedback?

I'm ready to listen and learn from the masters!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I understand what everybody is telling me, and since I've already got the head gaskets comming in the mail.

I should

1. replace the head gaskets (both)

2. pull the engine and rear cover,

3. replace the oil and mechanical seal.

4. if I want to get real crazy, replace the cam seal.

5. ride

Any thing else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good poimts,

And it could all be a combination of things.

Looking at the weep hole, there is a dried rust stain running from the hole, and past the chrome water line.

I remember talking to the previous owner as long as two years ago. He then told me that he thought the waterpump was leaking.

Now, after negotiating and buying the bike, he thought the waterpump was ok, and but figured the bike had a bad head gasket.

I'm now thinking that if the bike sat 3 years, the water may have settled to the bottom of the crank case, and may not

Have turned into a milkshake untill i started it up.

It does run very smooth. But i won't run it again till we fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.