Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, they're Yamaha's but talk about an inexpensive gift for a casual friend! Download and print the patterns and instructions, put in an envelope with a card.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/index.html

They recommend that you use heavy paper as in 80 lb cardstock paper but that's cheap enough.

BTW: If the logo thing is ever solved would someone please submit it with a link to the forum to these guys? They're pretty good suppliers for our bikes:

http://home.comcast.net/~tas-motorsports/links.html

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
29 views and no replies? This is cool stuff people.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Saw this in a bike book somewhere awhile ago, really amazing. But with my 2 left thumbs and lack of fine motor skills, I see me reaching a

dangerous level of frustration trying to fit the little pieces of detail all together.

Thanks for sharing the link.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt I'll attempt any of them but they sure would make nice gifts for kids that like to build models.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Those are awesome - I can't believe a company has people devoted to doing that, but it is slick!

Will have to send those along to a few folks at work.

Mike

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I built about half of one, that was certainly quite the chore. If you give these as gifts be sure to use the 70 or 80 lb cardstock and include a one of those very small bottles of Elmer's glue and some paper clips. A good pair of scissors and a cheap X-Acto knife would be optional to add but needed for most of them.

Print the patterns in color, print the instructions in plain B&W on your laser so you don't waste ink.

To heck with it, I just pulled all the files down and they're getting them on CDs, the kids can use their own ink.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Neat link! I might use some of these in my classes as a challenging project for my students. Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish more companies would do this, would love to see someone challenge the Honda Classics.

Perhaps a little letter to them is in order from a few of us?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a huge collection of simple to advanced origami:

http://dev.origami.com/diagram.cfm

I hate burning CDs unless I can fairly fill them up so I'm pulling down all these files too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here's a huge collection of simple to advanced origami:

http://dev.origami.com/diagram.cfm

I like origami. We folded a bunch of cranes for a friend funeral years ago and everyone got one after the service. I just noticed the cranes we saved are still on the shelf and I got them down, gave a dusting to them and thought fondly of our long lost friend.

I thought it would be fun to fold one of the dollar bills we leave for a tip in the restaurant, until I figured the staff would want them to be flat. Maybe fold dollar bills for someone else - small kids might like them.

I will print out one of the above moto's and build it some evening. Would be nice if they have the new Tenere 1200 dual sport on that Yamaha site!

EDIT: Ok, the SR400 looks cool enough for me to build! Now to dig out some stiff paper.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think there's a few cranes in the Origami site, the files just keep going on and on. There's 405 of them and I'm about halfway done downloading all of them to burn the whole Yamaha and that site's collection to CDs. I have no idea if any of my nieces or nephew will ever attempt many if any but it's kind of a nice addition to add to the Amazon gift cards I got them all.

They're just impossible to shop for, two years ago I just gave them all several rolls of quarters each and that turned out to be such a hit the first time I repeated it last year. They're all old enough now to be totally internet savvy so I figure I can't go wrong with the Amazon cards.

Getting ready to try and create a halfway fitting LightScribe label for all the discs so I can at least burn that side of them. The technology is out there to make LightScribe work in color but nobody's done it yet.

If you've got a LightScribe burner this is an invaluable resource:

http://www.cdcovers.cc/

There's a lot of dollar bill folds on that site that I've never seen. I used to know a few simple ones but have forgotten them. Its rare that I go out anymore but I always enjoyed making something neat out of at least one of the bills I leave for the tip.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I took it on myself to try and get the forum listed on the TAS links page. They get a lot of business from eBay as well as direct so hopefully we'll pick up a few new members that don't even know this place exists and the more members we have the better the combination of knowledge becomes.

I just sent them a copy of the logo that's been winning out in the polls for all these months.

I really do like #3 but I wish it had a little color in it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm too busy working so I can pay for the computer I am putting together. It is a nice little 750dollar machine... minus the 400 dollar 3D LCD monitor. Also on my list is a 2 meter radio that I want to connect to my computer if I can.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I built 3 new PCs during the year to make up my media server system with around 30 TB of storage set up as RAID-5, also completely updated my main desktop PC but haven't moved it back into my bedroom yet, been relying on my fairly new Lenovo laptop connected, of course, to my regular monitor, mouse & keyboard.

Had to rebuild my PC at work too, the MIS knows (but won't admit) that I've got a ton more knowledge on the hardware side than he does so I just got approval from my boss to buy the parts I wanted and upgraded it from there.

All but one are dual or quad core AMD based, not as fast as the newer Pentiums but at about 1/3 of the price. The newest of the AMD quad cores and of course the six are the cat's meow as far as not needing a lot of cooling or power supply unless you're running a high end video card. If you've got the right motherboard there's a lot of AMDs being sold as dual or triple core that can be unlocked back into quads.

So what are the essential components you're putting into your PC? I sure do love building them, always have since day one except for one disappointment I bought from Dell one time for a girlfriend. Ended up shelfing it and built her a proper one.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The paper motorcycles look too daunting for me.

On the folded dollar, a dollar shirt is pretty nice (or foreign currency to remember a trip), I cut out the head and part of the shoulders of a portrait style picture (unused passport or doc photos work great), fit it in the top part, and it looks like the person is wearing the shirt.

Pretty simple, even for the hamfisted like myself, instructions here:

http://members.cox.net/crandall11/money/shirt/

·
Registered
385 Posts
  • ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
  • AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX
  • EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • OCZ Gold 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1333LV4G
  • Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,Single 12V Rail,Active PFC
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

I am thinking I will try to find a different HD because I would like to set up a RAID array. But that HD does not like RAID so much. And I am going to stick with the motherboards sound for now. Need to "save" money where I can. (I say "save" because it would be really easy to save a few hundred dollars by downgrading everything.)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good choices but the video card is overkill unless you do a lot of gaming. There's an MSI card with a slightly less powerful NVidia graphics chip that's almost as good and can save you a lot of money.

I use ASUS motherboards exclusively and I've got a 955 AMD in one of my boxes. That processor puts out a lot of heat but the stock heat sink it comes with is quite sufficient given a cool case which I see you've provided for.

I use Crucial memory, always had better luck with them, but OCZ is fine.

I also use Hitachi hard drives, I figure if they're good enough for many of Google's servers they're good enough for me. I've seen some complaints on WD and Samsung's "green drives" yet oddly enough the Hitachi's are just as low power and cool running as anything.

I wouldn't trust a Rosewill power supply for longevity, I tend towards CoolerMaster myself if I recall.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yah asus and amd for me always. Intell makes some nices stuff but I'm blindly loyal. And yah amd run hot. When I got my first amd chip I was not sure if they made processors of space heaters

I have always had good luck with WD and hate seagate. I got one once and never worked.

I'm trying OCZ. For some reason I can't for the life of me remember what I normally use. But my friend says it works great. And for 50 bucks it is not a bad deal.

Never used a rosswell power supply. But it came with the case for 30 bucks. So if it dies it is not too big of a deal..... as long as it does not fry my motherboard.

Oh I know the video card is overkill times four. And eventhough I will mainly be typing papers I do like playing games and the idea of it working with a 3D moniter just makes me giddy!

Best part is I have found a blue ray drive for 49 dollars by asus. So far great reviews.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.