Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to gather parts for my CX project while I finish another bike build with my son. I saw a mono shock kit on facebook but before jumping into too fast I wanted to ask you guys if there are more kits I do not know about and if so, is there one everyone likes. Also, is there any i should stay away from? Thanks Jason

·
Super Moderator
5,218 Posts

Just FYI. I have not dealt with any of these firms.

If I were building a "cafe racer" I'd keep the original rear twin shock set up. In my opinion that gives a build true to the original cafe racer theme.

Reactions: wjvh

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
the best monoshock kit for a CX500 is a GL500
Have to agree that seems the most logical/direct route...remember functionally good twin shocks still work well....and are visually inline with the cafe theme-think older bikes and some of the retros as well...

edit But that route will shorten the "custom journey"....and sometimes the journey is what is "seeked" (sic)

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just FYI. I have not dealt with any of these firms.

If I were building a "cafe racer" I'd keep the original rear twin shock set up. In my opinion that gives a build true to the original cafe racer theme.
Thank you very much for the info. That does help. Not going for the cafe look. I have a modern sport bike front end I will be using. Just a custom bike. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,466 Posts
I have to agree about the best route being t start with a GL500. The CX swingarm is not designed to withstand the forces generated by having the suspension close to the pivot point, not to mention that Honda's engineers had more resources to design a good suspension than any of the aftermarket people producing conversions for the CX.

BTW: Don't forget to take a few minutes to fill in your profile (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that we don't have to keep asking you what your bike is and where you are.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Have to agree that seems the most logical/direct route...remember functionally good twin shocks still work well....and are visually inline with the cafe theme-think older bikes and some of the retros as well...

edit But that route will shorten the "custom journey"....and sometimes the journey is what is "seeked" (sic)
sought after? LOL

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to agree about the best route being t start with a GL500. The CX swingarm is not designed to withstand the forces generated by having the suspension close to the pivot point, not to mention that Honda's engineers had more resources to design a good suspension than any of the aftermarket people producing conversions for the CX.

BTW: Don't forget to take a few minutes to fill in your profile (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that we don't have to keep asking you what your bike is and where you are.
I was planning on bracing the swing arm but thanks. I will look into filling out my profile. Thanks

I do plan on bracing the swingarm but thank for the advise. :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I’m curious, no criticism intended, is there a disadvantage to using a GL frame with factory monoshock other than one might already possess a CX and not a GL to start with? I seem to recall the GLs have larger diameter fork stanchions than early CXs? Isn’t the GL triple backbone stiffer than the CX single (larger) backbone? 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me it comes down to 2 things. 1. Availability, from what I seen around me there are more CX's than there are GL's. 2. and more important to me, the look. To me, the GL's frame looks are bad. I have seen a few custom ones and did not like them. That's just me. :). I do not mind do the extra work(like bracing the swingarm/frame, etc) to make it ride better and safer. The bikes I have for the track/off road are about function/performance but my on road bikes are more about the looks. I know it is not everyones cup of tea but it's what I like. At the end of the day we are all looking for that smile that these motorbikes can give us but we may need to go down different roads with our rides to get it. Just me. No judgment or preaching on my part. Cheers :)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts