Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a naked bike conversion on my '83 GL650i, and I'm switching to LED signals. The rear signals set up fine. Front set light up as running lights, but when actuated, just turn off on the side actuated. My understanding is this is because the stock lights use a double filament that allows on/off/flash and the LED has only on/off functionality.. Right so far?

My question is what is the fix to make the front LED signals run and flash? I have a LED compatible grounded flasher unit(2 prongs with a ground wire that is frame-grounded), the turn signal dash indicator works and flashes, and the rear signals work fine. The signals themselves have 2 wires coming out of them.

Thanks in advance for the help, and let me know if I can provide any add'l info.

-Josh

·
Super Moderator
4,110 Posts
The best is to get another set of front signals, then use one for running lights, one for signals.

You might try one of those trailer lighting adapters normally to go from separate turn and running to one bulb does all. You want the flashing side to go out between flashes.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
The original front turn signals on these bikes (& most Hondas of the same era) do indeed function as both running lights and turn signals. They have the same dual filament type 1157 bulbs that are used in the tail/brake light. The lower power filaments are used as marker lights so they are on normally. When you switch a turn signal on the low filament in that bulb is turned off and the high power filament flashes so that you have BRIGHT-OFF-BRIGHT-OFF (if the low filament was left on you would have BRIGHT-DIM-BRIGHT-DIM).
Amber marker lights are only allowed at the front of a vehicle so the rear turn signals do not have marker lights.

The original front turn signals connect to 3 wires:
  • signal (solid light blue or solid orange)
  • marker (light blue/white or orange/white)
  • ground (green)

It sounds like you have connected yours to the wires with the white stripes. To make them work as signals you need to connect them to the wires without the white stripes.

As you may already know, all vehicles in the US and Canada are required to have all of the lighting functions they came from the factory with so the running lights on these are legally required. Not many cops are likely to know which models came with marker lights in the signals so you could probably get away with it BUT the marker lights do make you more noticeable to other drivers and anything that gives them less of an excuse to claim they didn't see you is worth keeping.

As Mike said, the simple way is to get a second set of signals (some of the LED signals are small enough that you can hardly notice them when they aren't lit).
You could also do something similar to what I did on my GoldWing

If you want your new LED signals to function as both signal and marker and you are able to do basic electronics, this circuit may work.
Note that the value of the resistor will depend on the specific lights you use so it must be determined by experimentation.
Also, the ground connection isn't shown to keep the drawing simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, dudes. After reading these and thinking about it some more, I started thinking about 2-wire lights vs 3-wire lights and what would happen if I made my 2-wire into a 3-wire, which led me to t-connectors and the solution! I just split my power wire and fed it into the two female connectors from the wiring harness and voila! on/off/flash. I'm pleased that this worked out, since I didn't really want to run two indicators..

Again, much appreciated!

-Josh

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Ah, but it doesn't really. Look at your rear signals - with the turn signal and marker light wires connected together without the diodes the rear signals will be on with the front markers. Amber lights other than signals when flashing are illegal at the rear of a vehicle.
Also, without the resistors in the drawing I posted the turn signals and markers will be the same brightness which will be confusing to other drivers.

·
Super Moderator
4,110 Posts
On cars with red rear tail lights and brake lights one side remains on while the other side cycles on off on... The only time that is a problem is when the driver is on and off the brake pedal. So if the front light cycles on off on the directional side and the other side stay steady the message should be received loud and clear. IMNSHO

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
1) On cars with red rear tail lights that also function as signals the tail lights aren't as bright as the signals. Or the brake lights.

With the marker and signal wires connected together he has amber tail lights. That alone is confusing to other drivers because amber lights that don't flash mean you are facing the front of the vehicle but the red tail light between them means you are looking at the rear.

2) If you see something coming toward you with an amber marker and an amber turn signal, both at the same brightness it may be obvious that one is a signal at night but it could be difficult to tell if the signal is flashing or if it is another marker and something is making it look like it is flashing when the sun is shining.

Turn signals and brake lights are always brighter than any other light because it makes them more obvious. The people that set the regulations for these things know what they are doing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used these on my 81 CX500D:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8B5PB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fronts are already programmed to shut off the running light when you turn on the signal. I wired the running light into my low beam circuit, and just did the turn signal wire directly into the switch (I am also running an aftermarket lighting switch so it might vary for you). Here's what they look like installed:

The rears also double as additional brake lights too. This is all of course if you feel like buying another set of signals that is

-Nick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Amber brake lights are not allowed. The only amber lights allowed on the back of a vehicle in the US and Canada are turn signals.
Yep! The brake lights are red and the signals are amber. I was expecting the worst with these since they're an amazon special, but they actually turned out great. I can get some video of the m in operation if needed!

-Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts