Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sorry if this is a stupid question; but everything you guys have told me has been right on the money and I don't want to screw up. How do I change my control grips both throttle and clutch?

thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Easiest way is to use an air compressor, fit the nozzle to the end of the grip and blow (for removal and install).

Because its so easy, I'd say ride to a "repair shop" of some kind. Tell them what you want and I'm sure they would be happy to help.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
You're just wanting to change the grips on your handlebar, right?  It's pretty easy, especially if you don't want to keep your old grips.  If you don't want your old one's you can just slice them off, if you want to keep them get a long, thin blade flat head screwdriver or something similar, work it under the grip a bit and get some spray of some sort (window cleaner, degreaser, even just soapy water) and spray it between grip and bar.  Work the flat edge around the grip as you spray, and it will gradually be able to go deeper and deeper under the grip.  After a little bit of this you should be able to rotate the grip back and forth a bit until it finally works its way off the bar.   The only thing you need to be careful of is the right side because the throttle tube is plastic.  For putting on the new grips, wipe the bar down really well with degreaser or alcohol or similar, and then spray the bar and the inside of the grip with hairspray.  I use my wife's High Hold type, extra sticky.  Twist the new grips onto the bar and let them sit for a while to give the hair spray time to dry, they'll stay steady until you want to take them off.  Some people use glue or special grip adhesive, but hair spray's always worked for me and thanks to the wife there's always a lot of it around the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts