Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my freshly larry-fied carburetors installed on my bike, all the hoses and cables reconnected, and the rest put together. Unfortunately, it won't start. I installed a clear plastic fuel filter but I don't see any fuel going through. I've heard that later CXs have vacuum pumps, and wondered if there could be some problem with that.

Second issue: there are two small nipples coming from the back of the petcock; I have one hose and no idea which nipple it connects to, where the other end goes, or what the whole thing even does. I strongly suspect it's related to the vacuum pump.

Thanks,
Lev

·
Super Moderator
20,546 Posts
It's not a vac pump, but a vac operated petcock.

I don't have these so I'm not the best one to advise you as to the orientation of the three lines but if you have no vacuum applied to the right spigot you will get no fuel. The vacuum supply spigit is on the front of the right carb.

I doubt if your problem lies with your Larry carbs. He runs them on his own bike for tuning/testing before he sends them back to the owner.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The nipple towards the front of the bike is for the vacuum hose that goes to the matching nipple on the carb - the rear nipple is the overflow which goes to a drain line down to the ground.

You must have vacuum for the petcock to open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She runs! I managed to hook the drain tube to the vacuum nipple on the carburetor.

Slightly embarrassing, but I'll recover. Everything's hooked up correctly now. Thank you all for your assistance. Now all she needs is a good tune up and some new fork seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts