Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GL500 That sat for eleven years. Now I am at the point of trying to start it. Couldn't get it to fire, so I took out the plugs to test for spark. As soon as I turn on the key both plugs start arcing. Can not hold on to the plug as they have juice running through them as if there was a dead short to the plug. When the key is turned off all stops. Does any one have a clue?

I am using a 12 volt battery charger with the battery in place, as the battery is dead.

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Wow, I have seen this once in my lifetime, and that was on a 1920's era Packard twin 6.

Try hooking up a good battery, even a car battery via some jumpers. You should never try and start anything with a stone dead battery and a booster/charger, they can throw out some serious current when there's no accumulator to dissipate the current. You could use a portable jumper too, as those are basically a portable 12V battery.

With a little luck, nothing is fried and a normal current load may clear it up. Sorry I can't offer any more insight, as my experience with the Packard may not be relevant to the GL's.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
There was a guy on here a little while ago with the same symptom,,I am not sure but I think a new battery solved the problem. I will see if I can find the thread.

edit;

I found the thread here

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got a new battery and that stopped the constant arching. Go figure. Started the bike up after 11 years. Idles at 2000 and runs rich. I think I might have put the choke cable on to tight and when the knob is down all the way mabe the choke is partially on. Is this possible? I am going to change the oil, filter and the antifreeze and take it outside to run for awhile.

Thanks for all of the help

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
That would do it. The choke also sets up a fast idle when it is pulled. I'm not sure how much choke it takes to do that, but you don't want any choke on after warm up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts