Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had nothing but problems with by front forks the last week or so. I replaced the seals and all was well except for they won't hold air. I followed all of the advice of the forum but to no avail. Soap tests showed not air leaks but after a few minutes of riding the air pressure would be at 0. I also replaced the schraeder valve, removed the crossover tube, replaced seals on them and the tube caps and fitted with Teflon tape and refitted onto bike and still the same results.

My next step is to either replace the crossover hose (one on ebay for 12.99) or switch to progressive springs, which i think i remember reading on here that would eliminate the need for air in the forks. Also I have been trying to add a spacer and was unable to find a 1/2" pvc coupler that will fit into the fork tube. Am i using the wrong dimension?

So i guess the question is, should i try to find the adaquate spacer for my 81 gl500 and replace the crossover tube, or should I spring for the progressive springs (lol punny).

Thanks,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
I would fix your air problem first.

and yes it's a 1/2 inch pvc coupler x 1 1/2 inches long.

In a bind you can get anything 3/4 in diameter 1 1/2 inches long but I like pvc because it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Could be the O-rings on the caps, or, perhaps the caps are cross-threaded (and not seal), and be cross-threaded very easily. They are of a very fine thread (and ALUMINUM) and strip VERY easily too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Magically after tightening everything up and replacing the o-rings and putting tape on I took the bike to work and she held air the whole way (45 miles).

In regards to the spacers I have bought the 1/2 by 1 1/2 couplers from 2 different places and they will simply not fit down in the fork tube. Should I try to find some 3/4" pvc and cut it to length instead.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have been seeing problems with these 1/2" PVC couplers. I would imagine that they have different "schedules" for PVC as they do for other pipe, and am thinking that "SCHEDULE-20" 1/2" couplers are the ones that will work, whereas, anything made for "higher pressure applications. ie, shcedule 40, er schedule 80 couplers would be TOO WIDE to fit inside the fork tubes.

Just a thought.

Another thought. These springs, even without the pre-load spacers do not just FALL into the fork tubes, they must be COMPRESSED. Add 1 1/2" to that and you may well need "3 men and a boy" to get that sucker " "capped"....

I remember from the old forum, pictures of "tools" made specifically FOR that application.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I read that one and between me and my father in law we should be able to get it. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Since your bike has slightly bigger forks than the cx500 has you should be fine with any piece of pvc that measures up to 7/8th since some people have made spacers out of pieces of old handlebars. As for the PVC I use the white stuff.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
A neat trick is to pull the spring and with a "sharpie", or some other marking device, find out PRECISELY where the threads start to bite into the fork and mark BOTH the cap and the tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts