Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When adjusting the mixture screws where does everyone connect a handheld tach since there are no bare posts on the coils?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The portable tach I have has a clip for the spark plug lead. To be honest I did my adjusting based on the bike's needle tach and my ear. My motor runs great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd use the tach on my bike, but for some reason the needle sticks at about 1200 rpms... it just started doing that the other day... it'll go above 1200 like normal, but it won't go below that, even with the engine off.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on with it.

I started it up the other day and noticed it was idling a little fast... so I started turning the idle speed down, until the engine died... I thought what the heck? Then I looked at the tach and saw that the needle was stuck.

I've since turned the idle screw back up... but now I have no idea where it's idling.

The stuck needle is only one of the reason's I want to hook up a handheld... the other is that I recently cleaned the carbs and haven't adjusted the mixture screws yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea Shep... that does help some.

I haven't had the bike long enough to really get a good idea of what it should sound like at idle.

I've listened to your video atleast a dozen times now... Now if I can just get passed my wife and kids and out the door before someone talks to me and messes it all up.

By the way... Is that an aftermarket temp gauge?... seems a little bulky.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Good idea Shep... that does help some.

I haven't had the bike long enough to really get a good idea of what it should sound like at idle.

I've listened to it atleast a dozen times now... Now if I can just get passed my wife and kids and out the door before someone talks to me and messes it all up.

By the way... Is that an aftermarket temp gauge?... seems a little bulky.

They are all the rage don't you know

·
Registered
967 Posts
I used a digital Tach called the "Tiny Tach" and you just wrap one of its leads around a plug wire. It is accurate to +/- 10 rpm, a fantastic tool, not very expensive. Following Shep's procedure I was able to tune by bike in about 30 minutes with the carbs sync'd up and all. (used a homemade manometer for sync'ing)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts