Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if any is your favorite fuel treatment?

The guys on a different forum seem to be in love with seafoam. I tried it and did not notice anything. They made it sound like your bike will run like a new bike after a treatment or two. Well not so much for me.

I have heard others say B-12 will make a difference. I have not tried B-12 it but I have tried STP and another who's name I cannot remember. I am beginning to believe that the only thing that will make that much of a difference is a good carb cleaning.

Any one else want to chime in on it?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you have not done it yet on your bike then I totally agree with a carb cleaning. If your carbs are dirty enough to make it run BAD then more than likely no fuel treatment is going to totally cure your ills.

In my opinion the fuel treatment is intended to be a "preventitive" treatment rather than a cure.

And on that notion I go with "Seafoam".

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
IMHO, none of them are miracle workers, but Seafoam is useful, as is B12, in maintaining things. As you said, the best thing is super clean carbs, then keep them that way with the products. It's a bit like using Stabil to maintain and stave off problems when putting the bike up for a long nap.

I use Seafoam fairly regularly, and although no appreciable difference is evident, I can tell it's doing it's job over time. Before I had my carbs done by Larry, I'd notice a difference after using it more than now, but it's not been a full year since he reworked them, and I've put in three applications during that time. The carbs are still as tight running as when I pulled them out of the box. About a month ago, I noticed a slight dead spot during a rare fair day ride this winter, and hit it with Seafoam on next tankfull. Flat spot gone one tank later.

I have access to B12 at work, and could shag a can, but haven't.

HTH

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted because My son's 1993 Yamaha Seca II is running kind of rich and giving him some starting trouble. I have never pulled a 4 carb set and do not even have vacuum gauges yet (want to buy the carbtune set but $$ is not there yet). He cannot afford the service and I bought seafoam to run in our bikes. I put it in my KZ which runs nicely already, did not notice a difference.

I agree that these products seem to be better as a preventative - like draino- not a substitute for a cleaning (plumber).

I have Larry's book and will go through it soon but want to get the brakes figured first. One at a time so I do not get tooooo confused

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Seafoam MAY clear up a problem if not too serious, and is a great answer as far as preventative maintenance is concerned. Having said that, there is NO fuel treatment out there that'll beat a thorough and precise carb cleaning. Not to worry though, because your bikes performance shall let you know if you were thorough enough....Don't ask me how I know this.........Lol!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm thinking that most fuel treatments are helping by evaporating some of water absorbed by our hygroscopic corn whiskey added gasoline. ( Ethanol Poisoning )

No "miracle" treatment has ever produced a "clean" carb for me unless the carb is disassembled and has been soaked in it. I'm a big fan of Chemtool B-12, but it is such a hot solvent, I do not use it as a fuel additive. I use the spray to clean the airbox and breathers tho... It also makes a heck of a enamel paint remover.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Two years ago when I first got my bike I averaged around 35 mpg all summer long. Last year around April, someone mentioned Seafoam to me. Maybe someone here on the forum, I really don't remember. I bought some and followed the directions on the can. After 2 tanks of gas my mileage went up to 50-55 mph. I continued to add Seafoam in every tank of gas on both bikes. Then someone here mentioned B-12 so I looked around for it. I compared prices and found that Wal-mart was the cheapest in my area and it was half the price of Seafoam. I gave it a try in my riding mower and saw a marked improvement. The rider ran better and used less gas. So, I started using B-12 instead of Seafoam in the bikes as well. They recommend 1oz. per gallon of gas, but that started getting expensive rather quickly. My wife and I try to ride at least 30 miles a day weather permitting during our riding season. I cut back to 1 or 2 oz. per tank and saw no change in mileage. This year I will probably start with the recommended dosage for the first couple of tanks of gas and then cut back to 1oz. per tank again. Sorry this was so long.

Stubby

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I vote for Berryman B-12, similar to Seafoam but has more solvents and it's less expensive.

Take a smell of STP - it's pretty much just diesel fuel.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My son just texted me and told me that the seafoam has helped with the gas mileage and throttle response but not starting. I am surprised because it had no impact on my KZ.

Of course I was inside the KZ carb a couple of months ago and did an alright (poor by Larry's standards) cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I use seafoam every once in a while. More so at the beginning of riding season due to storing for the winter. STP only in my truck every once in a while. But I gave up on it due to cost.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've run a couple of different varieties of fuel treatment. I can't tell you if any one works better than the other...but I can tell you they actually do work. Use in concentrations per the manufacturers instructions. Do it for your first 3 tanks of the season. Like Blindstitch, I too use these more so at the beginning of the season. For storage over winter too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.