Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been addressed before but I still wanted to get an quick opinion poll before purchasing a set. I'm looking at a complete set made by Vesrah Complete Gasket Kit $132.12. Now, I remember reading somewhere that Vesrah were the ones that made the OEM gaskets for Honda and was wondering if this is actually true. The reason I'm so keen to know is that I've also read that using non-OEM head gaskets is asking for trouble as they tend to be of lesser quality and are prone to leaking. My next and final question is regarding an alternative set I've found that is about half the price of the Vesrah set. However if you look at the URL/URI the site actually references the same part number ie. "vg-175" Honda CX500 GL500 Complete Gasket Set. I'd appreciate any feedback so let me know what you think my best course of action is.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Fonzie, can't say for sure whether Vesrah makes Honda's OEM gaskets. I have tried a few aftermarket gaskets over the years and other than gaskets from Yoshimura for a CB750, none performed as well as factory. You can still buy factory head gaskets and until the last one is exhausted, I would suggest that. I would rather re use a factory gasket than use an aftermarket gasket. Murray has had some success with aftermarket gaskets, so lets see his opinion on head gaskets.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
For that price, get the Athena kit.
Vesrah makes a good product, but Murray says he's had issues with the head gaskets.

If you do not need head gaskets, then just about any kit will be fine.
I have used the cheap blue ones, the cheap gray ones, and never had a problem with anything but the head gaskets.
(to make sure I don't have issues, I use a little copper spray sealant on the gaskets prior to assembly, never had one leak or fail yet after several years and thousands of miles on various bikes)
For head gaskets, general consensus is if you cannot get OEM Honda, then get Athena.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
The Vesrah set at Partzilla doesn't show the head gaskets. For that price, I'd want to assume they're included in a "complete gasket set," but...

R

P.S. I just realized, that photo doesn't show a CX500 gasket set at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure those are just stock photos like most sites use, however I might end up going full OEM anyway. Here is a list I compiled by digging through partzilla's website (which btw is amazing). I think it's fairly complete, I've also included seals and gaskets that most "complete" sets wouldn't have such as the fuel cap and reserve tank gaskets. It costs considerably more than any of the sets I've seen but maybe it'd be worth the expense. Chime in if you have any thoughts on the completeness of the list, any additions or subtractions are welcome.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fmsq7zh01f3igCWMcwrMQZHYKjKlGF7PxTSUIfcTDC0/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
as a fellow canuk honda canada sometimes has stock remaining on items that are NLA in the usa

i have bought up some of those but t is worth checking
I thought you were from the US! I will definitely check out the Honda dealership here in town. I'm still waiting on my crank to show up, I won't be ordering anything until I can measure everything and verify that what I have is still good. It's a bit of a scrapyard build. :) Thanks for the info!

p.s. I uploaded some pics of the innards, would anyone mind taking a look at the rocker arm lobes. I'm thinking of using them, the bike is going to be a low mileage (<1000KM/year) town crawler. Also kind of wondering if the chain in the pics is responsible for the wear on the crankshaft cover. (you can just PM me your thoughts if you like as this doesn't really pertain to the thread topic)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts