Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've acquired this GL650, and it has the atrocious buckhorn Silverwing handlebar. I read long ago that the GL1100 handlebar is flatter, and since the GL1100 Interstate has the same Hondaline fairing, the handlebar should fit a Silverwing without interference. Has anyone done this?

When I search the parts fiche, I find different part numbers through the model years, and photos on eBay appear to show varying amounts of rise and pullback. Can someone familiar with older Goldwings tell me how much variation in shape there actually is, and if it differs significantly from the Silverwing bar?

There's one in good condition available right here in St Paul for a reasonable price. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting it only to find it's the same as what I have.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

R

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Found some for $20 a couple months ago but was hesitant to purchase them.

Are they wider or just straighter? I wouldn't want wider, straighter would be nice.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I've acquired this GL650, and it has the atrocious buckhorn Silverwing handlebar"

so i thought till i rode it 35 years later still riding one with them
I've ridden Silverwings enough to know I don't like the stock setup. I spent my formative years on trail bikes. I'm most comfortable with my palms toward the ground.

R

·
Registered
331 Posts
Randall’s question was never really answered in this thread. I was also considering the same handle bar swap except mine is a GL500 so I was looking forward to seeing an answer.

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
my wrists conform to goldwing bars

all my goldwings have the stock bars on them and i have ridden a goldwing every summer since 1975

my gl 650 has basically the same bar on it from the factory the gl650 bar has a little more bend and less rise but close enough

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
I don't know for sure about the 650 but the bars that came on both the GL500 I drove for 5 winters and the parts bike I have here now don't even come close to the sane hand position as my GL1100. The height is about the same but the ends of the SilverWing bars are at a much narrower angle to each other so the wrists need to be bent more while the GoldWing bars are much straighter (wider angle).

In my case. I had adjusted a set of bars I had to be close to the geometry of GoldWing bars and installed heaters in them for the previous winter machine so I used them on the GL500 and I'm still using them on Eccles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's a ?comparison? pic of the OEM bars, and the GL1100 bars I received. Even, just, holding them up next to the oem, they don't seem to be very much different. Just minimal.
Still, the pullback is severe enough that my wrists are, still, not straight. However, there is a difference in rise.

I may try Bob's idea of "adjusting" these Goldwing bars.

Bars compare.jpg

Updates, forthcoming.

EJ

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
Hold the new handlebar so its grip area is in line with the grip area of the old one and you'll see how much different it really is.

BTW: I used a conduit bender to tweak mine. It left marks that I wouldn't want on a bike I really cared about the looks of and damaged the chrome but I've used those bars on every winter machine since '95 and they haven't even rusted, let alone shown any signs of weakness.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for posting that EJ. I think I will stick with the factory bars. They aren’t uncomfortable by any means for me so I don’t think it will be worth the effort for me. Please post what you end up doing whether it be putting the GW bars on as is or customizing them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No pics, 'cause I did it at work, tonight.

I clamped the bars in a hydraulic press, and used a long pipe to tweak the pullback area.
Large pipe, with rags wrapped around bars to keep from damaging them.
I removed about 2 inches of pullback from each side. Just holding them in my hands, unmounted, I already like the way my wrists are a bit straighter.

More tomorrow, when I get out to the garage.

EJ

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
You need to keep a lot of things in mind when comparing the handlebar vibration between my 2 bikes:
- The bars on Eccles aren't GoldWing bars. They came with a bunch of parts someone gave me and I tweaked them to be close to the shape of GL1100 bars when I installed them on the GS400 in '95. I have used them on all winter machines since, largely because they already had the heaters installed and I knew they would work with the fairing.
- GL1100 bars have weights welded into the ends (they would not be suitable for my winter machine because I wouldn't be able to install the handlebar heaters in them).
Note that GL1000 bars are not the same shape and have removable bar weights and later GoldWing models are different again.
- GL500 and GL650 handlebars have removable weights (I have no idea why they are removable but the ones in GL1100 bars aren't).
- I only rode my GL500 with the original bars once 20 years ago and I don't remember much about them other than I didn't like the angle they forced my wrists into. The next time I rode it I had replaced the Windjammer with the Honda fairing and the bars with the ones I tweaked for the GS400.
- Eccles started as a CX650E so it came with low bars that are supposed to have sport bike style bar end weights but they were missing when I got it. I only rode it once with the original bars, 14 years ago in a parking lot and not very fast. I was more concerned about the bent rear wheel and making sure the engine was sound than I was about vibration in the bars. The next time I rode it I had replaced the original (broken) fairing with the big one and the bars with the ones I had tweaked for the GS400 and used on the GL500 and the CB750SC (that one didn't last the first winter).
- GoldWing flat 4 engines are known for being very smooth. So smooth that when the GL1000 was introduced sales people were taught to stand a half dollar on edge on the engine, start it and rev it to demonstrate how smooth they are.
- No V-twin engine can be anywhere near that smooth without a massive balance shaft to cancel out the imbalances inherent in the design. (I've heard Harleys referred to as "paint shakers")

Keeping all of that in mind:
- As I recall, handlebar vibration used to bother me at certain RPM on the GL500 but only after long rides. This is not surprising with a V twin and no bar weights (the heaters are too light to have any significant effect).
- I acquired gel grips between the 500 and Eccles and with them I barely notice any vibration.
- My GL1100, with it's original bars (with weights), has virtually no vibration at the grips, even with the very hard grips I have on it (vibration damping was not a concern when

I don't think there would be a lot of difference in the amount of vibration felt between GL1100 bars and GL500/650 bars (assuming both have their original weights intact) on the same bike BUT I am sure the angle between the grips will make a difference for a lot of us.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Excellent explanation, as always. Thanks.

So, I may be transferring my bar end to the 'new' handlebar. And, with the welded weights, I think
I'll look into retapping the threads to fit the bolts of the bar ends.

See next.

EJ

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's another comparative pic. This is after I tweaked/adjusted the pitch on the GL1100 handlebar.

Bars 'adjusted'.jpg

Feels better, just holding it in place. So, we'll see how it feels after it's in the lower, mounted, position
and not having to hold it in place.

EJ

·
Registered
96 Posts
Better comparison...

Factory bars>>>
1Bars Old.jpg

Tweaked Gold Wing bars>>>
1Bars New.jpg

I really like the new positioning of these bars. Wrists are straighter, and they are a bit higher.
Cables and wires are not stretched. Whew. Good thing.
Also, if you notice, the master cylinder is, now more level, with everything adjusted to my liking. Another plus.

Not a greatly difficult project. Think I'm gonna like it.

EJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts