Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya, as the topic sez, am looking to paint my gas tank, luggage bags, and tall trunk in the original black color from the factory. The fairing and side covers are already black, so am thinking that perhaps 1 quart should give 'em enough coats?

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
A quart might do it. I like the idea of black. Are you going to do it yourself? Good thing you have a compressor but the garage could be chilly.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was gonna take 'em over to a buddy of mine (he rides a harly) whose garage has thrmostatically controlled heat. Not that I don't have a heater but frigging propane can get expensive keeping my uninsulated garage fairly warm. Besides, he's got the "shooter" and sandpaper (he paints his own trucks..Mack red...lol), so's I can't use his paint....lol Trying to do this on the cheap.

I emailed Dave Wiener, but haven't heard back from him yet.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Dave's probably busy with those new bikes that are hidden in his garage. Or assembling the carbs I have up at his place. He also has a motorcycle club meeting but I'm not sure which days those are.

To bad it wasn't warm or even decent out because I have some more ideas for the trailer hitch on how to add saddlebag brackets to it. But riding 120 miles in 20 degree weather or less and then backtracking isn't my idea of fun.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think of it like ice-fishing on the lake. Bring the Doctor. Doctor Magilacuddy's that is......rofl

I thought I seen in here onced upon a time that color code, but it coulda been for the candy-muse color, or maybe the 2-tone black and gold, but it's been so long since I read it.

I got your bending machine here on my living room floor, waiting for you to come and help me devise a stand for it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A quart of paint for all that? What kind of paint?

Heat controlled or not, if you're going to be shooting paint you've got to have decent ventilation and a controlled drying temperature for a while. I was going to do mine upstairs at work with the roof vent fans on but the smell migrates and I get complaints even doing everyday stuff with normal spray paint after a while, no way I could get through a good session of three coats of base and 5 coats of clear without creating a riot so I'm going to wait until it gets warmer.

Base is easy enough but catalyzed clear pretty much calls for a full respirator and the only way to do it right involves virtually no waiting between coats. Properly reduced clear, put on just right, only requires a light amount of polish once you're done so I'll just wait until it gets warmer and handle it out in the country where I won't end up being interrupted once I start.

Bare metal. etch primer, full primer/sealer, base coat, clear coat, decals then more clear coat.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
A 15 minute dry between coats is always a good idea. Give the clear 15 minutes and it will love you. Otherwise you will be sanding out runs. It takes what 10 seconds to put down a coat on a single item when using a gun. Would probably need at least 8 items to keep going and shooting in a circle.

Clear can be pretty toxic to breath but if it's only once or twice it's fine as long as there's ventilation.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No doubt you want it to flash hard between coats and inspect every one, but you don't want to spray on a coat or two then wait a day to finish the rest. That DuPont stuff, when reduced and catalyzed properly, will hard flash in fairly short order. The real trick is getting a decent coverage every time without under or overdoing each coat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.