Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be certain advantages to having the coolant reserve tank out of the way when dealing with either the CDI or TI systems. I imagined something like a hot water bottle or any similar, collapsible container that could be emptied and flattened when necessary but would be refillable, maybe even removable might work. Any thoughts on the making of or functionality of such a thing?

·
Registered
24,148 Posts
i dont know about a flexible bag as it may have to contain very hot blow back anti freezeunder pressure from the cooling system

and you dont ever want that on you or your rear tire

and a catheter bag would not be safe or uv resistant

but there are a lot of reasonably priced small catch cans that can be mounted wherever you want and can be moved

as needed with just a clamp loosened

here i one kind i have used

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Aluminum-Racing-Engine-Reservoir/dp/B01FVHP4HK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2SPZGIZ30Y8PF&keywords=oil+catch+can+kit&qid=1576326712&sprefix=oil+catch+can,aps,171&sr=8-7

but there are lots ion all sorts of colors and sizes

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
I agree with Murray plus I would be concerned about keeping anything flexible from rubbing on the engine or the swingarm and eventually wearing through.

The other thing I don't like about having the tank behind the engine like that is that it can be hard to see the level in it (especially on a winter bike that has been sprayed with anti-rust oil and then driven on dirt roads). I hung Eccles' original tank on the side of the sidecar (near the fairing & relocated rad) about 10 years ago so I could see it better; That convoluted shape looks dumb hanging out in the open like that but it was only supposed to be temporary until I replaced it with something with a more regular shape; It worked and there was always something more important that needed to be done... I even bought an RC aircraft fuel tank thinking I could hang it on the fairing but I never could figure out how I wanted to mount it so I always ended up looking in eBay for something else instead.

This year I decided I had to finally get around to it but I still couldn't figure out how to mount the RC tank plus now I decided its cap was too small so I had another look on eBay and found this https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382927963831 (even though it looks a lot smaller it holds enough volume). I'm working on installing it but I don't like that its overflow is just a hole in the cap so it is on hold until I can get a fitting to mount in the top of it. When I do I'll post pics & info in Eccles' thread.

I'll have to have a look if it could fit somewhere on a bike without a sidecar the next time I'm in the garage.....

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
It's not a reserve tank
if anything its an expansion tank to allow coolant to flow out when it's hot and umm 'expanded'
and back in as it all cools and contracts.
In theory that is
Often it's just a catch tank if the seals and valves aren't perfect or the head gasket goes

Aint got one and dont want one as I never trusted them much anyway
and loop of pipe a bit like a lavatory U bend will do
Same principle but light cheap and simple, easily fitted and removed too

Mind you I have mulled over using a small header above the rad
vented to atmosphere.
Expanded coolant will just up the level at the header while excess coolant and vapour can vent
via an overflow pipe in the case of excess heating or head gasket problems.
Pros:
It would keep coolant at the rad cap ready to flow back in by gravity as well as vacuum
and it wouldn't have be lifted up from below in a mostly empty pipe
Cons:
More complex and a valve near the rad would be advisable to help avoid spillage when fitting/removing.

All fairly simple plumbing though but I'll probably stick to my U bend

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
FWIW, the tank I bought might fit where the original came from but a little higher up. I can't be sure though without taking the carbs out and that's not going to happen just to find out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a reserve tank
That's' funny. When I was writing the post I was wondering what the heck the thing is called. I was calling it a bottle. Seems like everyone has their own name for it. Then I went to the parts manual and sure enough "Coolant Reserve Tank" Go figure. Thanks for the explanation as to its function.

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
The actual name for a tank like that is "coolant recovery tank" (it lets the cooling system recover the coolant that is expelled in the process of regulating the pressure in the system).

The Japanese sometimes have interesting names for things. Honda calls the triple clamps "fork bridge" and when I worked in the speaker industry we had a Japanese customer that referred to the grill (wood frame covered with cloth) as "saran baffle" (it took us a while to figure that one out).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts