Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Stay warm. Once your body is cold you're done. Tourmaster makes a heated vest liner for $125. I have one and swear by it. But if you get one make sure it has a collar. That little bit more makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
All the tips so far are great, like has already been said: layers, keep your head, neck, hands and feet warm, and the valve covers are easy to reach if you need a quick finger warm up.  

A good, wind proof riding jacket is the outer layer, and than an efficiently warm fleece or down layer under that.  I wear a fleece with a high neck so I don't need a balaclava or neck warmer. 

Warm wool socks but not so thick that they compress in your shoes, if your feet or hands are compressed the blood won't flow well.  

If you don't mind the looks, a set of hand guards to keep the wind off your hands and also some type of hand warmer, either electric gloves (Shep) or heated grips of some sort.  (easiest for installation are Oxford HotHands but a little expensive).

If your hands or feet are really sensitive to the cold, adding a vapor barrier layer can really warm you up.  Something that doesn't breathe at all, like some tight rubber doctor-like gloves, under your regular cold weather riding gloves can increase the warmth a lot, but the downside is they can make your hands or feet feel sweaty after a bit.

I don't have a lot of cold riding experience, some of the more northern people do it a lot more and in much colder temps than me (SidecarBob is probably the most extreme I know of), but when I'm wearing everything I listed above and have my new heated grips on I'm comfortable, not just surviving but actually pretty well off and not cold at all,  in 35 F temps.  The longest I've ridden in that temp is only about 40 minutes though.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Make sure the fuel tank is full!

Make sure none of your clothes/gloves/jacket etc are damp.Keep them in the warm or warm them up before a ride.A hairdryer can be used to take the chill of cold clothes.

Never set off hungry.

Porridge is one of the best slow burn foods to have.A bowl of that can sustain you all day.Also chocolate gives energy and feeds the brain which due to concentrating more on a bike burns a lot of blood sugar so keeping energy levels up is important for rider safety.

A dirty body cools faster.If you are planning a long ride make sure you have bath or shower the night before or before the journey.

Make sure the wind cannot get into your body e.g cover the neck and have a jacket/gloves that don't allow wind through the sleeves/pants etc.

If it's longer than say an hour I make a small flask of coffee/soup and plan for a ,"Smoke-break/Coffee stop" and take a back pack with some chocolate/energy bars or a sandwich or two and or know some good Cafes/places to stop at and get warm again.

As another poster said the cylinder covers make great hand warmers used with care.

·
Registered
860 Posts
A dirty body cools faster.If you are planning a long ride make sure you have bath or shower the night before or before the journey.

I always believe everything you say Shep, but I need that one to be explained.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I always believe everything you say Shep, but I need that one to be explained.

If your body is dirty it also has more moisture/sweat on it.This will cool the skin faster.I'm sure if you have done sports in the cold and sweated you know just how fast you get cold if you stop running and stand still.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Shep,

What is porridge called on this side of the pond??? Are you referring to oatmeal or something else?

I looked here and it confused me even more ...

Link

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Good point on your body burning a lot more sugar (simple carbohydrates) when you're riding and this applies to all times of the year. It probably takes 5 times as much awareness to drive a bike than a car.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i also have to agree on coffee or coco and i my self i wear a bandanna to cover my mouth and neck works pretty good i wear my leathers for me they work great at keeping the wind out and my gloves thats it i am always hot for some reason it can be 15 out side and i could be in shorts or jeans and a tank top and be just fine.........

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's the best tip, don't ride without a windshield or front lower fairings lol.

I wish i had something to deflect the wind away, at least something to block the wind on the cylinders so the heat would rise up.... which i guess would be the stock fairing or maybe a vetter fairing.

I actually found myself looking at old goldwings the other day and seriously considered one.....I'M 28, i'm not old enough to want one yet!!! But damn they look comfy

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I wear a Gerbing's heated jacket liner in cold weather. At the time of its purchase I was leaning towards a heated vest but finally decided on the jacket liner. I'm very happy I did - it's almost a luxury to have the arms and neck heated as well!

Now some of my favorite rides are ones on very cold mornings. The air can be freezing but the jacket liner is toasty warm. It's like standing next to a roaring campfire on a frigid winter day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
whats the best way to keep you helment facesheild from fogging up. i have all the vents open and have a oem fairing. i try rain-x anti-fog and does not work. i have a modular hlc symax II helment.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've never used any commercial products and I've not found anything that work 100%.In these colder times I wear a thinsulate balaclava

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIKE-MOTORCYC...cycle_Protective_Clothing&hash=item588a233798

and I look like this

That helps cut down and breath control when stopped.A little washing up liquid/detergent wiped inside the visor on a bit of tissue can cut it down a bit as it breaks down the surface tension of the moisture and what it doesn't prevent does clear faster when you get moving.I have a,"Flip" Helmet so I can just lift it up easy if stuck for a while.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts