Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been getting a bit cooler at night here (60-65 F) and the past two times I've started my bike, it's given me problems. Seems like basic cold start problems where I have to pull the choke all the way out and start it a handful of time before it gets going. But, the kicker here is that when I try to give it a little throttle to stop it from dying on me, there seems to be no power. So, my questions are:

- Is this a problem with my carbs or a problem common in cold starts?
- Is there something I can do to stop this?
- Does anyone have any advice for choke use and starter use when experiencing these kinds of problems? I don't want to do any damage.

I typically use the choke but make sure to keep it between 1,000 and 1,5000 rpms, slowly depressing it to keep it in range until it's all the way in and then I ride off.

When I try to start it with these problems, I never press the starter for more than 4 seconds and try to rev it up a bit to stop it from dying. Only in the last two days has the no power while throttling bit cropped up. Both times I've eventually been able to start it and it's been fine afterwards. I will be going home and checking my battery voltage in a couple hours to rule that out but I figure that wouldn't be causing the no power while throttling issue anyways. I'm sure that as it gets cooler in the fall this problem will only be more pronounced if I don't address it now.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My 82GL can be hard to start after sitting long periods and during cooler weather, its been like this since brand new and has not changed through the years despite my best efforts.
Make sure your battery is fully charged as it does effect this to some extent.

Beyond telling you it's time to clean your carbs, you can try this.

With the kill switch OFF and choke pulled fully out crank the engine for 3-4 seconds (sometimes I crank it until the oil light goes out). Turn kill switch to ON start engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,110 Posts
Sblackst when not in use is your bike on side stand or centre stand? Do you give the throttle a couple of quick turns before trying to start? When you say there is no power when you twist the throttle what exactly do you mean? Do you think that the bike is starting on one cylinder only?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sblackst when not in use is your bike on side stand or centre stand? Do you give the throttle a couple of quick turns before trying to start? When you say there is no power when you twist the throttle what exactly do you mean? Do you think that the bike is starting on one cylinder only?
It's on the side stand. I don't give the throttle any turns before trying to start. When I'm having trouble starting the bike I hit the starter, the rpms jump and then I try to give it some throttle to keep the rpms from falling down and the bike dying on me. When I do this, sometimes there isn't any power when I turn the throttle open. It only happens when I haven't started the bike in a day or two. Once it starts after some tries, it's good to go and once I try starting it after I get to my destination and do whatever I have to do, it works fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,110 Posts
Try putting it on the centre stand and see if that makes any difference. I have similar symptoms with my bike, more noticeable the longer it has stood. To me it seems like my bike starts on one cylinder, the other kicking in after a few seconds. Priming by turning the throttle a few times before starting does help with my bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts