·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
They have for years.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
You may have a poor ground connection or the new battery needs charging. If you bridge the two terminals on the solenoid, with a screwdriver or similar, does the starter crank?

·
Registered
1980 cx500c
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You may have a poor ground connection or the new battery needs charging. If you bridge the two terminals on the solenoid, with a screwdriver or similar, does the starter crank?
I was gonna try that but called into work lol. Ground looks fine, gotta buy a charger for the battery to try that because I know some need charging before use just didn’t think of it this time.
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
Any lead acid battery will lose charge capacity if left in a discharged state for a few hours so a charger should be considered as essential a tool for working on vehicles as wrenches are. Keep the chart below in mind when you are doing anything that can run the battery down (like repeated starting, many short rides or even having the key turned on while you test the electrical system).
NOTE that a "12V" lead acid battery actually has less than 50% charge when it is at 12V and should be recharged before it gets that low
Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Number

·
Registered
1980 cx500c
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Any lead acid battery will lose charge capacity if left in a discharged state for a few hours so a charger should be considered as essential a tool for working on vehicles as wrenches are. Keep the chart below in mind when you are doing anything that can run the battery down (like repeated starting, many short rides or even having the key turned on while you test the electrical system).
NOTE that a "12V" lead acid battery actually has less than 50% charge when it is at 12V and should be recharged before it gets that low
View attachment 213703
Found out the new battery is bad or something. I charged it and it read 12.40/12.50 when I tested it and it still wouldn’t turn the engine over. Charged the old battery and it turns like a dream, but now I’m still not getting any spark. I screwed the wires in to the plug caps and they were on there pretty tight. I don’t have the exact spark plug the bike had before so I’m gonna go get the right ones but the ones I got are basically the same. Could it just be those old coils? I have the new ones right there and I’m gonna try them out later today.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
How are you checking for spark? The valve covers are insulated from ground by their rubber seals so if you are laying the plugs against them they won't spark. The heads of the bolts are grounded.

·
Registered
1980 cx500c
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How are you checking for spark? The valve covers are insulated from ground by their rubber seals so if you are laying the plugs against them they won't spark. The heads of the bolts are grounded.
Oh😬didn’t know that, but yes that’s how I was doing it. I’ll try it on the bolts

·
Registered
1980 cx500c
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I got it to start after taking the carbs apart and finding the jets clogged like a taco bell toilet, luckily the seller gave me a carb rebuild kit and I was able to put new ones in and it started right up. But now it dies down after running for about 5 to 10 seconds. That have something to do with the mixture? Or can I adjust the idle? Where’s the screw for that

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Or can I adjust the idle? Where’s the screw for that
Venture to the wiki, link in my signature line, and download a copy of the factory service manual for your bike. Excellent read for an evening when you can't ride.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts