Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In search of new coils and plug wires with boots. Had to toss the originals because they were so corroded and beyond saving. Purchased the coil on plug kit from murray and they’re great but with the bumpy dirt roads I’m always traveling (I live in northern Vermont)
The coil pack mounts have both broken and I’ve JB welded them a few times. Between that and having longer legs for my height and hitting them with my knees all the time, they just don’t make sense for my build. I’ve seen that some Yamaha DR coils and wires work for the cx500 but I’m not really sure where to start with my search aside from buying used stock parts (which I’m not really into)
Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. I liked the hotter spark I get with Murray’s coil kit but want to go back to oem style and tuck the coils under my tank again so they’re out of the way. To complete the conversion I’ll need coils, wires, and boots if they aren’t attached to the wire already. I remember seeing people rave about the dynatech coils I think it was. Not sure if that’s still relevant or if there is something better out there. Any help would be super appreciated. I’d also like to mention that I didn’t hate the coil on plug kit, it’s really just me hitting them with my knees and breaking the mounts because of my size. Product is awesome and installation was a breeze, so anyone who isn’t about 6ft and very lanky will enjoy them more than I did. I recently bought some refurbished carbs from murray and my cx runs like a champ now. He also helped me troubleshoot and determine what carbs I had on the bike originally, much respect to him for going out if his way to help!
Needless to say, if anyone needs some coil on plug packs and can maybe epoxy the mounts back together I’ll let them go for the cost of shipping! Thanks again for any help offered, this forum has never failed me in the past. Gotta love the community we have

Chris

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Have you looked into the Seadoo cop? Post #109 here CX500 Cafe/Brat Build Perhaps they would have a lower profile?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,408 Posts
A lot of people are running pit bike coils on CDI bikes too. They usually come with wires and caps but I'm not sure if the caps are appropriate for CX valve covers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.