Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've taken the advice from the great members of this board and bought those coils off ebay and boy was i surprised at how small they are compared to the OEM ones. now that i have them im trying to figure out where to mount them because with the tank im trying to go with they wont fit in the original place. someone suggested a simple bracket underneath the spine, but while mocking up the tank i realized i have a ton of room on top of the spine under the tank. would it work to just drill into the spine and bolt the coils there. AFAIK as long as they are grounded (bolted to the spine) and the connections are good i should be good right? the first pic is the tank on the bike and the second is the spine with the coils taped where i think they will go. any insights from you guys would be great.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I'd be loathe to drill into the frame.Why not get a couple of large Jubilee clips to go round the frame or even a couple of large tie wraps to secure the coils.Then you can make a couple of cables/wires to bolt through the coil holes and take then securely to a frame/ground point?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be loathe to drill into the frame.Why not get a couple of large Jubilee clips to go round the frame or even a couple of large tie wraps to secure the coils.Then you can make a couple of cables/wires to bolt through the coil holes and take then securely to a frame/ground point?

hmmm interesting. you saying to just secure them some other way and ground them with wires instead of bolting them to the frame. that seems promising bc i wasnt really sure i wanted to drill into the frame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have room there the have at it.

But I would check on them from time to time to see if they are building heat.

this is why i ask questions. do the coils generally get hot? also because of their placement i think that there will be a ton of air rushing over them to keep them cool but if i do go this route i will keep an eye on it.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Maybe not the coil themselves. Never grabbed a hot one. But I have one of the little ones that melted a bit around one of the edges. But that was it and no problems. Who's to say how much heat will be under the tank. Maybe none. Maybe at idle only.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
hmmm interesting. you saying to just secure them some other way and ground them with wires instead of bolting them to the frame. that seems promising bc i wasnt really sure i wanted to drill into the frame.

Yes their earth point is the two mounting holes on the coils so a nut and bolt holding a ring connector and wire will work fine to the nearest good ground point you can find or are happy with.

You know the type you can get from Autozone etc,

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-YELLOW-RING...672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518d6a72f0

As for the heat question like Don says it's not the coils per se but more the heat coming up off the engine and from the front of the engine as we ride and that's what the,"Air Dam" is for on stock machines,

Some people who have not got one when they got their bikes because it's been lost etc have made heat deflector plates under their coils to direct some of the heat away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it. I was wondering what that was for the other day when i was mocking things up. maybe a better spot would be right behind this plate under the frame rail (the other location i was considering). this seems to be a logical choice, and if i dont get the new tank to work i can still fit the old one on with this setup

·
Registered
1980 CX500A (Shadow)
8 Posts
This is super old and probably nobody follows this anymore but I'll ask anyway.... NIEDS, where did you end up mounting your coils?....I have the same problem with the tank I am trying to use...cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts