Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1982 GL500I

Hey everyone, long time since last post but here is the update. Engine is back on the frame. I fired it up and it ran even with the pipes off. I probably would not recommend doing that. Anyway, I'm ecstatic that it started. I made sure that the shifter was properly aligned and that all of the washers were there etc. It went through every gear several times before assembling the engine. The clutch cable is not attached yet. I put the engine in 1st gear and rotated the rear tire to confirm. Then by me reaching over where the clutch cable connects, I manually actuated the lever for the clutch. Then I tried to rotate my rear tire and it still was in gear. So what blunder have I stumbled upon now. Anyone!!??

deuce

·
Registered
192 Posts
The plates may be stuck together. Put the cable on start bike and pull the clutch in while reving engine. That works sometimes .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give it a try. Thanks, Are there any other possibilities that I can check??

deuce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the above suggestion to no avail. Could the plates be that stuck together?? Are there any other suggestions? Could I have missed something when putting the covers back on, especially the rear cover? Or should I just think about replacing the clutch plates altogether??

deuce

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
It might be possible you didn't get the little cam set right that the actuator slides into inside the clutch housing. I'll see if I can find a fische.

And please edit your signature with your bike model/year so we know what we are talking about. Thanks.

edit* For my 82 CXc it is number ten on this link. It has a notch that has to sit right to push the clutch plate back to release. I hope I have this right. If not, I'll surely get corrected.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I am stabbing again, but I think that the number ten I referred to pushes on the number 11 in this link. That moves the clutch plates in and out as you pull the lever.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My clutch works fine, but with the rear wheel off the ground it feels like the clutch is not disengaging. It is normal for these bike to "jump" a bit when putting it in first at a stop, especially cold. Try holding the front brake while sitting on the bike off the stand, the engine running and the clutch lever pulled pop it into first. It may be fine.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
My clutch works fine, but with the rear wheel off the ground it feels like the clutch is not disengaging. It is normal for these bike to "jump" a bit when putting it in first at a stop, especially cold. Try holding the front brake while sitting on the bike off the stand, the engine running and the clutch lever pulled pop it into first. It may be fine.

Yes it's normal and nothing to worry about

Like you say it gets less as the oil gets warm and circulates.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I let the bike idle for at least 20 minutes and you would think that it would free up.

deuce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did let it idle in neutral first for about 20 minutes. Engine was good and warm. I'm going to drop the oil and check the clutch cover just in case I missed something. If It still persists, I will takes shep's advice and just service the clutch.

deuce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be checking the clutch actuating thruster and the spring, this may be the cause.

duece

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I did let it idle in neutral first for about 20 minutes. Engine was good and warm. I'm going to drop the oil and check the clutch cover just in case I missed something. If It still persists, I will takes shep's advice and just service the clutch.

deuce
you dont need to drop the oil,just jack up the engine so the rear wheel bottoms,you will loose very little

1 - 14 of 14 Posts