Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am completing my 600rr fork swap and I am having some trouble getting my clutch working properly. I am using the 600rr clipons with an aftermarket clutch assembly (photo is below, I'll get a video of the actuation if needed). I bought a brand new stock cable, and removed maybe 10" or so, played around with the cable and sheath length to get the slack just right. I feel the bends of the cable are pretty smooth and probably not the issue. I also lubed the cable before use. Even if I tighten my cable until there is no slack at all, I don't think it's being pulled far enough to completely disengage the clutch.

In 1st with the clutch pulled in it will pull very hard and stall at idle. I would also be interested in the travel of the stock lever if anyone wouldn't mind measuring for me to compare. Otherwise unless there's something else dumb I've done, I guess I'm looking for recommendations for a new set of levers that fit 22mm (7/8") bars!

Arm Camera accessory Bicycle part Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
On the three I just measured, the stock lever travels 3 1/2 inches until it touches the grip. I suspect either your aftermarket lever has insufficient travel, or you cut the inner cable too short.

Reactions: brandon1996

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Another thing which could be different is the distance between the levers pivot point and the cable attachment point. Is this measurement the same for all lever sets?

Reactions: brandon1996

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing which could be different is the distance between the levers pivot point and the cable attachment point. Is this measurement the same for all lever sets?
Yeah, that and the starting angle of the lever would make a big difference in how much cable gets pulled

On the three I just measured, the stock lever travels 3 1/2 inches until it touches the grip. I suspect either your aftermarket lever has insufficient travel, or you cut the inner cable too short.
Are you measuring the distance from the end of the lever to the bar? I really need the distance from the point where the cable goes into the lever is at rest, to the same point when the lever is squeezed. Or maybe just the angle of the arm the comes out of the case when the lever is squeezed?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
The upper end of the cable moves about 3/4".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts