Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Clutch sticks (sometimes)

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  CXPHREAK 
#1 ·
Ok... So recently I had some issues with fluid loss, both oil and coolant. After some time figured out that my head gaskets were blown. So We replaced those and she ran wonderfully! At that time I replaced my oil as well. No metal flakes, nothing abnormal. A few weeks later my clutch will randomly stick while I am riding. I try to pull the lever but it does not budge. I can still shift but I cant disengage the clutch so it lurches obviously. And after a little while it starts to loosen up but is tough at first and then the clutch works normally like nothing happened. I have tried shifting to different gears to see if that helps. I have tried to keep the rpm's high and low and that does not help. I have not found anything that helps prevent the problem or reverse the problem. I just have to wait till it decides to fix itself. So now that you have the story anyone have any ideas on what is going on. I plan on opening her up but I would like to have some ideas first of what to look for before I go in. I would like to get her running again soon since she is my mode of transportation.

Also when she is running she sounds fine. no grating or odd noises.

#2 ·
Hi Zegwin,

Check your clutch cable installation and it might be breaking apart inside cable housing.Another thing might be a problem is the linkage in the cover may have rusted or bent.Good luck, Gerard

#4 ·
Ill give that a shot. I might just replace the clutch disks while I am in there. I will let you know when I get a chance to do that and if it helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I want to keep her running till the day I die.

#5 ·
Ok so I finally got around to taking the clutch out and sanding down what little I could find and or justify needing sanding. Got it put back together following the directions and making sure that all the parts went back in the correct order (including the washer behind the castle nut. But what is odd now is my clutch has a lot of slack in it before i feel any resistance. and when I let it go it only goes half way back leaving a lot of slack. my cable is adjusted to have all the slack out of it and am wondering what might have I done wrong? Oh and I have not been able to check to see if the clutch works yet since the battery died since it has not been run in a while and it is cold. any ideas?

#6 ·
Ok so I finally got around to taking the clutch out and sanding down what little I could find and or justify needing sanding. Got it put back together following the directions and making sure that all the parts went back in the correct order (including the washer behind the castle nut. But what is odd now is my clutch has a lot of slack in it before i feel any resistance. and when I let it go it only goes half way back leaving a lot of slack. My cable is adjusted to have all the slack out of it and am wondering what might have I done wrong? Oh and I have not been able to check to see if the clutch works yet since the battery died since it has not been run in a while and it is cold. any ideas?

Did you adjust the adjustment down on the bottom?

Perhaps a new cable is in order?

#7 ·
Yup at the bottom, and at the top... I think I will get a new cable. Just so I know it wont break on me at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.