Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I got the engine back on My 82 gl500i. replaced my seal on the shifter and wanted to add my fluids as to see If I can get it started. I moved the lever to see if I was in N and the lever is all the way down, so I assume I'm in first. But it will not go into N.

So what did I possibly miss when I reassembled the engine?? My clutch cable is currently not attached. All I did was reach around to manually actuate the clutch lever. What did I screw up anybody??

deuce

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ok, so I got the engine back on My 82 gl500i. replaced my seal on the shifter and wanted to add my fluids as to see If I can get it started. I moved the lever to see if I was in N and the lever is all the way down, so I assume I'm in first. But it will not go into N.

So what did I possibly miss when I reassembled the engine?? My clutch cable is currently not attached. All I did was reach around to manually actuate the clutch lever. What did I screw up anybody??

deuce

Well,

if you had the engine out and had the rear case removed - then I'd say you have misaligned the gear shifter selector pawl - it is easy to not get them lined up properly..

you will need to take the engine out again

when you do replace the rear case - slip on the gear lever and make sure you can get all gears before you button it back up.

cheers

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
First thing to check is just the shifter clearance, the first time I switched out my engine it wouldn't shift right and I panicked, thinking I'd have to remove everything all over again.  I took a moment and checked things over closely and realized the shifter was hitting the H box.  Unfortunately for you, if its not a clearance issue the next most common thing is like 81 above said, you may have misaligned the shifter teeth inside,  it's easy to get it wrong and there's no way to fix it except to drop the engine and remove the rear case again.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The bend in the shifter goes OVER, not under. Has to be the right one and exactly placed,

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm reading this thread thinking to myself "I've seen this same issue here so many times...I'm gonna make sure mine shifts ok after we put my engine back together BEFORE it's filled with oil and BEFORE the engine is put back on the bike". Lesson learned from you guys..so thank you

Good luck Deuce...you'll get it figured.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This of course was my fear. At least I have not put the fluids in yet. Yes I did use the genuine back cover gasket. Thanks everyone for the advice. Remember, when you are getting close the end.............slow down and check, check , and check again!!

deuce

·
Super Moderator
23,397 Posts
If the rear cover gasket is too thin the gear selector {and starter drive} can bind.

Try rocking the back wheel backward and forward by hand while trying to select the gears before you do anything drastic as bikes can be reluctant to change without the rear wheel turning.

Failing that... engine out as outlined above I'm afraid.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thank Nagus for the link. Was there something I missed about the gasket? Or were you just making sure that stock gasket is the proper one to use??

deuce
deuce,think of the rear cover gasket more like a sealing spacer.it must be of the correct thickness for the gear selectors to function correctly.

good luck,and dont forget to let us know what you find

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
This should help,

There should also be a small 10mm thrust washer under the left hand side gear selector in the picture.Two similar ones should be either side of the small driven gear that turns the large Starter Motor Flywheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts