Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
a stupid newby question : when I put , for example, the engine in 2nd gear and I release the lever, then rear wheel is blocked (engine is off). But when I then pull the clutch lever, the rear wheel should rotate freely I suppose? THis is not the case with me. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Cable adjustment, to much free play . Some drag in gear is normal with clutch handle pulled in, it will not free wheel like neutral. If you can get your bike to shift to neutral from 1st or 2nd while running and does not slip you have it a good clutch.
Warped plates or worn basket or inner hub of clutch could be causing clutch not to disengage as well .. cheers Gerard

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gerard, thanks. I checked and there is almost no free Play in the Cable i think. How can i verify this is ok?
thanks
tom

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Correct free play is 10-20 mm measured at the ball on the end of the clutch lever.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
One more thing that can cause your clutch not to release is worn and tired cable and routed the wrong way .
Does your bike run? If yes ,can you shift to neutral from 1st or 2nd when the bike is not moving, when you put it back into first does it move forward with clutch lever pulled in?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If your bike has been sitting for awhile the fibre disc do tend to stick to the plates , old engine oil tends to stick the clutch disc more.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
With cold oil, at least for my bike, there is some drag on the clutch. My bike jumps when shifted into first when the engine is cold. Doesn't happen once warmed up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,
I will recheck tomorrow. I only have one problem, I don't have a license plate yet, so I cannot test it on the street. I do some testing on the center stand.
When i pull my lever, my clutch goes to around 10 o'clock , I think that's enough.
thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,
a stupid newby question : when I put , for example, the engine in 2nd gear and I release the lever, then rear wheel is blocked (engine is off). But when I then pull the clutch lever, the rear wheel should rotate freely I suppose? THis is not the case with me. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tom
I've found that when the bike is cold the clutch seems to stick a bit. When I replaced the clutch disks it seems to be less of a problem, but if it's a cold day I let warm it up 8-10min before I get going.

Cheers,

Rob

82 GL500I

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hi Tom, If you want to test on center stand run bike in gear ,pull clutch handle in and apply rear brake ,engine should stay running if clutch working.

·
Super Moderator
13,482 Posts
FWIW, it is common practice to park sidecar outfits in gear so that they don't roll away and to disengage the clutch when you need to move it around. This worked well on every other bike I've had a sidecar on (including the GL1100, which has a very similar clutch to these bikes), whether the engine was hot or cold. But not for any of the CX/GL500/650 bikes/engines I've had over the last 2 decades; For those, unless the engine is warmed up I have always had to to kick it into neutral before I can push the bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts