Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I live in Shakopee mn and have recently purchased 2 cx500 turbos.

The clutch operation on one of them does not feel right in comparison to the other bike and in comparison to any other bike I have owned.

Symptoms
1) clutch fully engages and disengages and does not seem to slip, no issue in shifting
2) I can only pull in the clutch lever 50% of the way and it seems to "HIT SOMETHING" meaning that I can not pull in the lever any more as it feels like I have hit some sort of STOP. If I pull harder, I feel I will break something
3) clutch is a little noisy when disengaged at idle. Noise goes away when clutch is engaged.
4) there is a little over 20,000 miles on the clock

I have owned a bike where the THRUST WASHER/Bearing was bad. seems like it might be something similar here, but that bike had a lot more miles on it.

looking for suggestions on where to start with this one.

JPS

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Have you looked at the clutch linkage at the lever on the clutch cover??.
The clutch may be worn and the cable has been adjusted to pull the release lever farther
up to make the clutch work, maybe temporarily.
If adjusted correctly the clutch lever should be at about 9/10 o'clock when the clutch is engaged.
The clutch lever at the clutch cover is at about 10 o'clock on the my Turbo and at 9 o'clock on my customs.
The clutch on my Turbo sometimes fails to release completely and it pulls some, gotta fix that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked at the clutch linkage at the lever on the clutch cover??.
The clutch may be worn and the cable has been adjusted to pull the release lever farther
up to make the clutch work, maybe temporarily.
If adjusted correctly the clutch lever should be at about 9/10 o'clock when the clutch is engaged.
The clutch lever at the clutch cover is at about 10 o'clock on the my Turbo and at 9 o'clock on my customs.
The clutch on my Turbo sometimes fails to release completely and it pulls some, gotta fix that.
Thanks for the reply. I got 2 of these bikes and the other one works fine, so I can compare the cable and linkage and see all is OK.
THe clutch is a little noisy, so I suspect something inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts