Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has already been answered. I seem to remember someone saying that a rattling clutch wasn't serious, but can't find the posting. I just noticed that mine is making a slight rattling noise when it's engaged with the bike in neutral. The noise mostly goes away when I disengage the clutch. (squeeze the clutch lever) And I don't hear any noise from it when I'm riding. So, is this likely to be something that I should take care of soon, or can it wait until winter? My FSM isn't very helpful with this question.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry if this question has already been answered. I seem to remember someone saying that a rattling clutch wasn't serious, but can't find the posting. I just noticed that mine is making a slight rattling noise when it's engaged with the bike in neutral. The noise mostly goes away when I disengage the clutch. (squeeze the clutch lever) And I don't hear any noise from it when I'm riding. So, is this likely to be something that I should take care of soon, or can it wait until winter? My FSM isn't very helpful with this question.

Mine is the same Doral.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ditto with mine.....

I'm not gonna worry about it for a while....I might try to replace the clutch innards including the bearing over the winter....the clutch actually works just fine and the rattle stops when the bike is heated up good.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Same here for me.  I tried deburring, cleaned all the plates, even traded out with my spare motor, all the same result.  Works just fine so I quit trying to quiet it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's starting to look like a rattle in the clutch is a mark of distinction. Reminds me of an old song, which none of you are old enough to remember. It went, in part "You can't take the rattle all out of a Ford,

Don't try it, it cannot be done ..."

·
Registered
583 Posts
can I join the clutch rattle club!?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I bet alot of people have changed their timing chain thinking that it was the noise when in reality it was the clutch. My mom gave me a stethoscope before she died (she was an RN) and I started the bike and put it up to various points around the engine and no doubt it's the clutch.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The usual cause of clutch rattle are small burrs on the clutch basket and the tangs of the plates which prevent the plates from seating back correctly allowing them to flap and make noise.You can dress these off using emery cloth or a small file.

If ever you decide to give the front of the engine a service like cleaning the oil pump strainer/sump and checking the oil pump chain that's a good time to check and do the clutch

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a mechanic's stethoscope, and Rick, you'd better believe that I used it because Cam chain was the first thing I thought of. But it's definitely in the clutch.

Thanks for the info Shep. I'll keep that idea tucked away for future reference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have clutch rattle in 2 of my bikes, both 650's.

In my case it's the 6 springs in the base of the clutch basket, which is held together by rivets. These would have to be drilled out to get at the springs, so I've put it into the too hard basket as it doesn't effect the operation of the clutch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have clutch rattle in 2 of my bikes, both 650's.

In my case it's the 6 springs in the base of the clutch basket, which is held together by rivets. These would have to be drilled out to get at the springs, so I've put it into the too hard basket as it doesn't effect the operation of the clutch.

I've got one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lists too. Thanks for posting what is actually making the rattle on your bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts