Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a tight budget and I would like to build a clutch lock nut tool.
I would appreciate if someone could post some measurements like:
Inner diameter:
Outer diameter:
Pins hight:
Pins width:

Thanks
Adi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to build this before i open the engine so i can get back on the road ASAP

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,115 Posts
I am on a tight budget ...
I would like to build this before i open the engine so i can get back on the road ASAP
Time, quality, and cost -- pick two.

If you try to cut it to measurements to save time, it probably won't fit well.
If you buy one, it'll cost, but the quality will be good and you can use it right away.
Take your time and cut it carefully, and it will only cost you a socket.

R

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Ok here is mine. NOTE: it is not a Honda Tool But it worked fine.

0928141436.jpg 0928141437.jpg

Not perfect measurements so use at your own risk. I started with a 15/16 (1/2in drive) socket that appears to have a normal wall thickness. Ie. not an impact socket.
Here is what I have:

0327151834.jpg 0327151839.jpg 0327151841.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
I started with a 23mm socket. Mine is not quite as pretty as Nolimitz's but it works fine. Really quick to make - maybe 10 minutes; don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. I used a thin metal cutting disc on an angle grinder. As I've said before, if this idiot can do it ...
P3130066.JPG P3130069.JPG

·
Registered
335 Posts
GL Blinded is thinking!

I have a spare 650 engine that I can check for sizes. I have a milling machine to use :)

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
LOL, I just had a thought, we could make a thread showing off our homemade tools. It could be educational.
There is at least one thread for that already...

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Correct was for photo/test fitting only.

Just FYI, this is not the correct way that the socket engages the nut. When you install the nut, the tapered face should be toward the clutch. The more broad face engages with the tool.

R

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just FYI, this is not the correct way that the socket engages the nut. When you install the nut, the tapered face should be toward the clutch. The more broad face engages with the tool.

R
Phew - eagle eyes! Glad mine was on the right way round. I should add that I did not come up with this idea; it was a direct rip-off of nolimitz, imitation being the highest form of flattery and all that.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Not my idea as Bob indicated. Found on Forum or on Wiki

Phew - eagle eyes! Glad mine was on the right way round. I should add that I did not come up with this idea; it was a direct rip-off of nolimitz, imitation being the highest form of flattery and all that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
People on this forum & its predecessors have been altering sockets like that for at least 15 years... I think I did mine in 2002
No intention on my part of stealing anyone's prior knowledge, Bob. I'm just saying I first saw the idea posted by nolimitz when I did a search. http://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/28997-clutch-basket-removal.html
Like the very best ideas, they are very obvious when someone points them out to you. A great thing about this forum is that ideas are so readily shared, and I for one am grateful to the many people who have helped me directly or indirectly, including your good self Bob.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
Yeah. I wasn't implying that anyone was steeling the idea (how can you steal what is freely given?) I just meant that the idea has been around a long time and it has worked for many of us.

BTW: I have another modified socket that fits the swingarm lock nut. If you are careful and only make the pegs as long as they need to be to properly engage with the nut you can still use the socket for regular nuts too.

One thing nobody has mentioned: Use a torque wrench when you do up that nut. If you don't it can come loose. Don't ask how I know that

1 - 20 of 31 Posts