Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
You could machine a new, thicker mushroom.
Randall, i had the exact same problem as the OP on one of my bikes years ago and couldn`t get my head around what was wrong so i machined a mushroom a few mm longer to take up the slack!
I eventually found out what was wrong - i had omitted the large thrust washer that sits on the gearbox input shaft behind the clutch basket so the whole thing was positioned that much further back.
Doh!

If the OP wants to go down the improvised route to cure his issues i`d suggest placing a suitably-sized washer under the release bearing. Once positioned there it won`t be going anywhere and will have the effect of reducing the travel required for the mushroom to reach the release bearing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you all for the suggestions. I still have a feeling that good old David Silvers' "Clutch Kit" contains the wrong discs for a 78 CX500. I'm considering the Wemoto Gecko discs at the moment. I've done clutches before with no problems but this is the first time ordering the DS kit. If I still encounter the same problem I will use one of the suggestions posted to make the clutch work as it should.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update for the sake of those who helped. I found a set of clutch discs in the garage with some life left in them. Cleaned them up and gave them some fresh oil. The clutch arm makes contact as it should. Around 9 o'clock. It's quite obvious the discs I got with the David Silvers Clutch Repair Kit are wrong for this application. I doubt I'll get anywhere but I'll send them an email anyway. Just fair warning for those looking at the kit from David as shown below.
David Silver Spares

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
785 Posts
This is what I'm looking for. Everything is where it should be. I've done clutches before with good results. I think the discs are wrong. If I've measured them correctly they look too thick. An example below:

From the front of the engine:
Disc 1 measures at 3.47mm or 0.136" factory calls for 3.1-3.5mm or 0.1220-0.1378
Disc 2 measures at 3.36mm or 0.132" factory calls for 2.3-2.7mm or 0.0905-0.1062"
Disc 3 measures at 3.44mm or 0.1335" factory calls for 2.3-2.7mm or 0.0905-0.1062"
Disc 4,5, and 6 all same as 2 and 3
Disc 7 measures at 2.69mm or 0.106 factory calls for 3.1-3.5mm or 0.1220-0.1378

Seems to me the discs aren't correct. Am I right in thinking?
I bought a David Silver CX500 clutch kit last November and all the disks are the correct thickness. Here's the thing, though. I can't find any specs for what you refer to as disk 7. All I can find is a note that it is thinner that disk B. I don't think that particular plate is designated as either A or B. And although at 2.69mm thick (what I measured) it is effectively the same thickness as the A disks, it has a separate part #.

If the 2.69 for #7 is actually correct, your 1 and 7 are correct and you got the wrong 5 A disks from Silvers. I have my receipt and bags labeled with part numbers just as they came to me. Let me know if any of that would be helpful in dealing with DS. Basically I ordered what you ordered and they got it right for me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts