Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry - the manual was no help, and I couldn't find this in the search. The clutch housing is the large basket that houses all the clutch plate parts. There is a large gear on the back of the housing that fits into 2 gears in the engine compartment. The 2 gears are not in alignment which is preventing the clutch housing to be fully inserted. Is there a way to slip the clutch housing into these gears without taking the front engine cover off? This for a 1981 CX500 - I really appreciate everyone's help!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
try rotating the cam crank a bit on front of engine to align gears. wiggle and hold your tongue out just right
I dealt with this last summer. When rotational pressure is applied to make the teeth on the primary gears align, friction between the primary and clutch gear teeth prevents the clutch sliding into place. Applying some molybdenum disulfide assembly lube to the teeth on the clutch gear helps it slip by.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Since the clutch isn't a timed component it is easiest to just rotate the crank until the backlash gear teeth match those of the primary gear at roughly 3 oclock where the clutch teeth engage.

Then the clutch just slides in.

·
Premium Member
12,251 Posts
Sorry. For some reason, I was thinking of the 650 clutch with the spring loaded subgear on the clutch housing.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Is that what that 2 gear setup is for, taking up backlash?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I always wondered, thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,251 Posts
Same/same really. Only the location of the anti backlash gear differs.
I don't think so.
The split primary gear on the 500 has different numbers of teeth (31 and 32, if I recall) with friction drag taking up lash at the gear interface.
The split gear on the 650 clutch is spring loaded to provide tension at the interface. The subgear doesn't rotate around the clutch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts