Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confused. I bought a clutch pack from the bay. So I began to put the calliper on all the plates to see which ones were the best. The plates from my 78 cx and the other clutch pack, not sure what year it was off of.

This is the blow up of a 78 cx clutch.

This is the blow up of an 80 cx clutch.

Now I have both clutches and I thought I would be able to take the thickest plates and know that I did the best with what I have. And now I'm stuck. Tomorrow I will be taking some pictures of what I have. This just isn't making sense.

In this next picture (curtisy of Shep) it shows 2 different disks.

Sheps picture shows that the first disk and the last disk are number 2 and labelled as "radial oil slinger grooves". The center disks are labelled Number 5 and are 90 degree slingers.

I have 2 clutches. On the 78 clutch, I remember that the centre ones look like the number 2's. I also have all the plate thickness's written down. 2 of the disks are 3.55mm thick while the rest are 2.77. One of the thicker ones is a 90 degree oil slinger.

Now my clutch will not disengage. My springs are all within tolerance. And there are no burs on the plates or the basket fingers.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
It's been a few years since I had to service any of my clutches but here's a couple of things from memory.Some of the AM packs(After Market) don't have radial slingers but that shouldn't be a problem.

This is a better picture I think,

It doesn't say if the End plate inside the clutch disc (pressure plate side) is a B type or different though ?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shep, where did you get the picture with the number 12 in the top right corner where you circled the number 2 and 5? It leads one to believe that the first and last disk are the same, which they are not. They are different part numbers and different thickness's. It confused me.

The Honda service manual could be more clear as well, but I think I have it figured now.

The "Clutch Plate" is all metal, the "Clutch Disk" has impregnated material.

The last picture you posted Shep is from the Honda Service Manual. "The clutch plate (pressure plate side) is identified by the grooves in it's lining". So there should only be 2 clutch disks with the straight lined grooves, the first disk and the last.

The first disk is labelled Clutch disk B. The previous page in the book states the service limits for clutch disk A and B.

A= 2.30 B= 3.10

So the first disk is thicker than the centre disks.
I hate assuming, but unless someone takes their original clutch pack apart and measures the last disk, I'm going to have to assume that the last plate is the thickness of disk A plates. I think the clutch I bought from the bay, the seller had purchased all the last plate plates. It would make sense since in all the pictures I have seen have the 90 degree in the centre and the first and last plate are straight lined grooves. Although there is the aftermarket scenario.

But then again, one of the thicker plates I have has the 90 degree groves on it which does not match the picture. Not that I think that will matter, it's just strange.

I think my clutch may not be disengaging because I used both of the thicker plates I have.

I'm about to go out in the rain and reopen this clutch pack. If I need to be corrected please tell me. And after reading, you see how that picture can be confusing (Shep) maybe you could correct it?

Maybe someone will find this thread to be helpful some time in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.