Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Non-residue, high flashpoint solvent.

"Brake and clutch cleaner" but some may suggest "dry cleaning fluid" or similar if its cheaper.......

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,584 Posts
Your bike's clutch consists of plain steel plates and friction discs, all coated with engine oil. You could probably clean the plates with any solvent as long as it doesn't leave a residue that could contaminate the oil. For the discs my best guess would be brake cleaner.

Why do you want to clean them?

BTW, clutch friction discs for wet clutch bikes like ours aren't designed to run dry so it is recommended to soak new ones in clean motor oil overnight before installing them. If you clean the oil from yours I'd recommend soaking them too.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
523 Posts
I would be inclined to think that if the clutch needs "cleaning", then it needs to be replaced.

To me, this sounds like the need to "clean" brake pads..........o_O

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
I've needed to clean fork oil off of brake pads a couple of times over the decades but that's the only time I can think of that they would need cleaning.

I'm wondering if he thinks the discs should be dry and wants to clean the oil off of them.

·
Super Moderator
23,945 Posts
I've cleaned lots of clutch plates from the partially disassembled motors that I bought. Everything ends up filthy and full of dust.

I just use white spirit/mineral spirit/dry cleaning fluid with kitchen paper and then spray them off with brake cleaner.

Steelies I have grit blasted or merely rubbed down with 120 dry rub paper.

I have many spare, used plates. I went through the many that came with all the stuff I bought, culled the rubbish and cleaned up the rest.

I have in use a clutch put together from random plates and another is in a motor I built for somebody else that was missing the complete clutch.

Both function normally and well. They say you can't mix plates too.

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
Yeah, that's a good reason for cleaning them. The alternative without disassembly is multiple flushes (fresh oil & filter, ride a few blocks to circulate it, dump it and go again until it stops slipping).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts