Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having an issue with every cable on this bike.

For some reason, my clutch cable is jamming up. The spring inside the clutch cover is no restrained, it's clipped on, but no tension on it. The clutch lever (outside of clutch cover) should be exactly horizontal or a little up? Can't seem to find this in the manual, or online

Anyway, when I pull the clutch lever, it doesn't snap back (deja vu with the throttle issue/resolved)

Even with the clutch cable perfectly straight and vertical (from clutch cover area) it doesn't go back to it's original spot. I've put a bunch of light oil in the cable too. It's gotten better, but not good enough.

I am guessing the cable is just shot, 1 small kink, even if straightened out, might cause the problem. Another thing is the cable seems to long (if I temp. put it where I want it) can anyone recommend a cable about 10" shorter?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I put clubmans on my bike and i had to run the cable differently because it wasnt snapping back. I ran it behind my headlight and it works great now...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I run stock cable also, with creative routing. Disconnect the lever end and the clutch end and move it by hand.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
and can someone snap a shot of exactly where the lever/arm should be coming out of the clutch cover area? what angle?

above,clutch not pulled in

below,clutch pulled in

HTH

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've found over the years that if you can still get an OEM cable vs a generic one it's usually worth it. Dealer should have them, no shipping that way either.

Exact routing path is also important.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I mean if you are hold the plastic sheathing with one hand and the ball one the end of the cable with your other hand and see if it moves freely. But you have one on the way so forget about it. You can't run stock routing without stock handlebars, without a huge loop anyway.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the cable must have been shot. put the new one on today, and it works great. only thing - it's long as hell.

If I cut the cables shorter... can I have a welder weld the caps on the end?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting. It should be sitting in a lower than level position when not pulled in? Mine sits a bit above level.... I replaced the clutch arm seal the other day, and realized I installed it wrong. I flipped it around and reinstalled it today. After the work, the clutch is much more heavy today than it was previously. Definitely a ton more solid, moveable, and the clutch grabs in much later in the motion of the handle.. It drives alright, I am concerned that the clutch it not fully engaged....or the pressure is incorrect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts