Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 CX500 Custom.

Lately every time I hit a bump or a dip, I get a clacking sound. I can't figure out what it is.

Does anyone here have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that it's coming from the forks.

It sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike, My forks don't seem to bottom out, so I don't have any clue right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try applying your front brake & see if the noise is still there.Maybe loose caliper or worn caliper pins

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
Could be a loose bracket in the headlight nacelle or there abouts too. Check all the bolts for tightness up front, from calipers up to turn signals, headlight nacelle, etc. Any loose bolts can seem elusive noise wise. Until they fall out.....arggh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll give them a try tomorrow, hopefully one of them turns out the be the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
Also, please update your profile to show us where you are in the world, and what bike you have in the signature....that can help a lot. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ok,no prolink,id guess a worn spring on one of the 2 stands

·
Registered
39 Posts
No prolink on his cx though. The center stand bouncing that was was mentioned above seems like very good possibility.

·
Registered
810 Posts
There is a spot on the stock left muffler where a rubber piece sits that keeps the center stand from clunking. I recently got one online for mine (couple bucks). No more clunk on bumps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a fantastic forum, because the more I read, the more I see that my problems are the same as everybody else's!! I have noticed that my bike rattles a good bit, and I have identified three possible causes, and have fixed one so far!

The first one I fixed was that both the exhaust shields at my feet were loose, despite the retaining screws being fully tightened. So I removed the screws and placed a small nut behind each hole in teh covers which raised the covers just enough to allow the retightened screws to do their job. The same problem exists on the silver radiator side-covers, and the plastic stone shield on teh front of it, so I guess I will have to remove the screws and add a few nylon washers (or something similar) then see if tightening up the screws again will do it - I just don't have the right washers at the moment! The third problem I have only discovered today, and that is that my centre stand is quite loose in the hinge fastening, and the spring does not fully raise it either (so it kind of hangs there, just below being fully raised) and there is no rubber stopper for it to hit if it was fully raised. So 3 questions: (1) Where can I get that rubber stopper you mentioned above Linny (do you know the part number? Maybe I'll just make one and bolt it on!), (2) should the stand be fairly tight when turning on its hinge (or am I probably missing some flanges between the bolts and the stand/frame, and (3) should I also replace the spring - I have found an old (stronger) spring the same length in my workshop (it's from a door) so if it fits....? Many thanks for your patience in reading this!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought the rubber stopper from bikebandit.com store part #739175 $2.64.

My center stand is snug on it's pivot (doesn't wobble).

If the spring fits... Maybe use it. I'd prolly buy a new one made for that purpose as I would worry about the door one being brittle or whatever. part #739217 at same place as rubber plug $3.33

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the rubber stopper from bikebandit.com store part #739175 $2.64.

My center stand is snug on it's pivot (doesn't wobble).

If the spring fits... Maybe use it. I'd prolly buy a new one made for that purpose as I would worry about the door one being brittle or whatever. part #739217 at same place as rubber plug $3.33

Thanks Linny, I'll look into those parts, cos for such a small thing, the improvement should be huge! The spring I have though is a little shorter than the original, a good bit fatter and much stronger, so it'll be no easy job getting it stretched to go on, but I'll try it! Also, since posting my last message I've drilled a hole in a rubber "cork" from a wine bottle and cable tied it to where the stopper should go,....and it's ...OK! New parts I think!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks Linny, I'll look into those parts, cos for such a small thing, the improvement should be huge! The spring I have though is a little shorter than the original, a good bit fatter and much stronger, so it'll be no easy job getting it stretched to go on, but I'll try it! Also, since posting my last message I've drilled a hole in a rubber "cork" from a wine bottle and cable tied it to where the stopper should go,....and it's ...OK! New parts I think!!

Nice! You are a good thinker!

·
Registered
409 Posts
To add to consideration for future readers doing their own, similar investigations: I found a surprise bump-clink source in the form of a not-quite-latching cover flap on the fuel tank of the Deluxe. Some fiddling with the latch cleared things up.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
check that the steering stem bearings are adjusted correctly. that can produce a clunk if there is excessive play at the headstock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts