Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have not ridden my GL500i for a few day it clunk when I shift it into

first gear the first time. Once I have road a few mile it shift normal.

Is this normal?

Ev.

MI.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Yeah mate, a clunk going into first is pretty normal for any bike with a wet multi plate clutch so you probably don't have a problem. Does the bike try to creep forward in gear with the clutch pulled in?

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Yes, this is a fairly common thing. Sometimes a different weight of oil will help it out, but it isn't that big a deal unless it is constant. If that were the case, you'd likely notice other stiffness in other gears.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah mate, a clunk going into first is pretty normal for any bike with a wet multi plate clutch so you probably don't have a problem. Does the bike try to creep forward in gear with the clutch pulled in?

No I have not noticed that at all.

Thanks, for your reply. Just want to keep on top of

any problem.

Ev.

Mi.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As above.Both mine clunk into 1st for a few seconds until the oil gets around the engine,less if you let the bike idle for a few seconds before setting off from cold.

My 2 cents.

I always let the bike warm up. I start the bike then put on

my ridding gear.

Ev.

MI.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
The plates literally stick together once the oil gets cold and even if you warm the motor up before you ride off you still have to make that first gear engagement when the 'stick' is broken.

If you've ever dismantled a bike clutch you'll have noticed that the individual plates tend to stick together due to the viscosity of the oil. Put some oil between two sheets of glass and they will resist seperation due to vacuum.

A bike with a wet multi plate clutch will always jump a little with that first gear engagement.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plates literally stick together once the oil gets cold and even if you warm the motor up before you ride off you still have to make that first gear engagement when the 'stick' is broken.

If you've ever dismantled a bike clutch you'll have noticed that the individual plates tend to stick together due to the viscosity of the oil. Put some oil between two sheets of glass and they will resist seperation due to vacuum.

A bike with a wet multi plate clutch will always jump a little with that first gear engagement.

Make since, thanks for explaining how they work!

·
Registered
42 Posts
To reduce clunk, try not to engage first gear with the choke on (this will increase the revs and also increases the force of the clunk). Naturally, this is likely a non-issue for those more south than others. For us in the north during the colder months, sometimes it is necessary to ride a block with partial choke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.