Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm working on a 1978 cx500. I'm having an issue with the starter where the lights all go out and the starter clicks. The battery that I'm using is a car battery with jumper cables at the moment as this bike needs quite a bit of sorting. It's fully charged and I have the manuals so I guess my question is Have you nice people had a similar issue and or what is the most likely cause/ what should I start with?

I apreciate any help very much. Thank you on advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The lights are supposed to go out when starter is engaged. That way all of the current is going to the starter.

Is the starter clicking or is it possible that it is the solenoid clicking?

Has the car battery ever turned over the starter. And don't use the strong car battery to turn over the starter for long periods of time, meltdown.

If no to ever turning over starter, pull starter and jump to see if problem is in the starter motor. Old starters that have been stored in the wet/rain can seize up and need service. Cleaning and lubing can bring most back. Check in the "search" for starter upgrades for grounding issues.

HTH

steve

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
as you know,your solenoid is a switch.you need to know it works.

keep your jump leads connected to the car battery.then bridge the top terminals of the solenoid,use a decent screwdriver.it will spark a bit,dont worry,be firm,push it down hard on the terminals.........

what happens ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the solenoid clicking. No it hasn't turned it over. Thank you for the advice on not burning the starter out.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
To be clear

the starter isnt clicking its the solenoid thats doing the clicking

all lights going out could be a few things

A seized engine would stall the starter and do this

( and might make the starter click I suppose)

Poor connections that cant pass the very high current required to spin the motor.

A knackered battery will do the same thing.

I'd check the motor will turn first by putting a 17mm socket on the front of the crank shaft

if it does I'd remove the starter and check it spins up when power is applied

also check the function of the one way gearing by stickng my finger it the

starter hole and pushing the gear one way and the other.

If you're confident the motor isnt seized and the starter motor is good

and the car battery is AOK

I'd put one jump lead from battery negative to the engine and one from the pos to the

starter side of the solenoid

This should crank the motor

Crap solenoids dont usually pull the idiot lights down, dead shorts and lack of current do

As my psychic powers have been badly affected by accidental contact with Kryptonite

I can only make guesses but it 'sounds' like bad contacts to me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as you know,your solenoid is a switch.you need to know it works.

keep your jump leads connected to the car battery.then bridge the top terminals of the solenoid,use a decent screwdriver.it will spark a bit,dont worry,be firm,push it down hard on the terminals.........

what happens ?

We'll find out tomorrow. I'm about to goto work for the evening. Just to double check solenoid = magnetic switch in the factory manual yes?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
im presuming the engine is free,and turns over freely

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be clear

the starter isnt clicking its the solenoid thats doing the clicking

all lights going out could be a few things

A seized engine would stall the starter and do this

Poor connections that cant pass the very high current required to spin the motor.

A knackered battery will do the same thing.

I'd check the motor will turn first by putting a 17mm socket on the front of the crank shaft

if it does I'd remove the starter and check it spins up when power is applied

also check the function of the one way gearing by stickng my finger it the

starter hole and pushing the gear one way and the other.

If you're confident the motor isnt seized and the starter motor is good

and the car battery is AOK

I'd put one jump lead from battery negative to the engine and one from the pos to the

starter side of the solenoid

This should crank the motor

Crap solenoids dont usually pull the idiot lights down, dead shorts and lack of current do

As my psychic powers have been badly affected by accidental contact with Kryptonite

I can only make guesses but it 'sounds' like bad contacts to me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops. Wrong button sry. The idiot lights go out head light goes out. Car battery is good. I hope the engine hasn't seized. Ug. I'm goi g to have a busy day tomorrow it seems.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yep, best to check before going any further

especially if the motor is new to you.

The front cap has a 17mm head and is at 1-2 o clock-ish from the clutch

you may need to take off the rad guard to get at it.

the same socket can be used to spin the motor when you get the cap off

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Oops. Wrong button sry. The idiot lights go out head light goes out. Car battery is good. I hope the engine hasn't seized. Ug. I'm goi g to have a busy day tomorrow it seems.
as Reg and myself said.first job,make sure engine turns over ok.

no amount of electric will help if its siezed up within

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will check that the engine rotates thru manually first. Then I'll start the electrical trouble shooting. I'm off tomorrow so hopefully good news by the evening.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just make sure when you turn the motor you are doing it the right direction.  Set your socket wrench to loosen the cover cap, and then once it's off set your wrench to "tighten" and turn the crank as if you are tightening a bolt (tight/right).  If things spin freely like that, I'd do like Reg said and check the starter next.  When I first got mine I did all the fluid changes and set valves and chain tension, so I knew the engine rotated fine.  Brand new battery, tried to start and it just "clicked".  Looked over everything and finally figured out my starter motor was frozen, rusted up tight.  An hour or so of cleaning and things have worked fine since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got over here to work on the bike. Pulled and cleaned the starter and the solenoid. The engine turns over on the button now!!!!' thanks for all of the great help! Now it's hopefully a short jaunt to running then just brakes and tires till I'm on the road. Thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
Allways good to hear a problem ending with an easy fix

Good job

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
good work,well done.thanks for the update

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Finally got over here to work on the bike. Pulled and cleaned the starter and the solenoid. The engine turns over on the button now!!!!' thanks for all of the great help! Now it's hopefully a short jaunt to running then just brakes and tires till I'm on the road. Thank you

Good news

I really do wish more people would clean and service their starter motors.It's one of the cheapest and easiest things you can do on these bikes and pays big dividends.I couldn't stand for my bikes to be bad starting.I don't accept in in my cars so won't accept on my bikes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts