Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending most of the summer getting her going, I am probably overreacting, but after getting exhaust close to stock, started hearing a noise.

Any well tuned ears have advice?

Cheers,
Sean
MN

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Have you checked your chain tension? That sounds a lot like a chain rattle.

Of course, it can be mimicked by a lot of things, including a loose fan. Do you have a mechanics stethoscope? (They're inexpensive at Harbor Freight, and there's one not far from you in West St Paul.) It can help you isolate and locate the sound.

R

P.S. The last time I had a rattle like that, it was the oil pump chain.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Does it stop with clutch pulled.?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randall,

I do have a stethoscope, and it seems like no matter where I placed the probe it sounded pretty much the same. I did a tensioner adjustment when I checked the valve clearance (at TDC Left), seemed to have no effect on this sound.

purplecx500,

I do not notice a change when the clutch is pulled, but I wasn't listening for this condition and will keep an ear out in the morning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it was TDC on compression? Adjusting the valves on the exhaust stroke will introduce a lot of tappet noise.

R
Fairly sure, when looking at the marks in the case, I watched the valves on the carbs side lower on each side before checking the spacing.

Edit: Lower and rise before the mark appeard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I pulled the radiator earlier this year, drained the cylinder heads and checked the fan, everything there seemed to be in order.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Fairly sure, when looking at the marks in the case, I watched the valves on the carbs side lower on each side before checking the spacing.

Edit: Lower and rise before the mark appeard.
I'd check them again anyway. On comp. stroke left side you should be able to jiggle the rocker arms slightly and the right side they will be tight. Then on the right side comp. stroke they should again jiggle slightly while the left side's are tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts