Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok on the way home from work last night I started to hear a clack noise. After further inspection I think it's coming from the radiator but I can't tear it down until monday. Looking at some of the older posts and researching into the old archives I found a few threads on the fan cracking. I do not have any recording equipment. I noticed that when I pull the clutch in it makes a diffrent sound. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
595 Posts
Oh hey, another Polk Countian!

It isn't too hard to yank the radiator and take a peak at the fan. Check the service manual on directions, I think if you're doing a full flush and everything it's only like a 45-60 minute job. If you don't want to do that just yet, remove your plastic shroud and look under and behind the radiator, and if your fan has exploded you may be able to see signs. Also make sure your shroud isn't bent or distorted and hitting the fan. That was a problem of mine at one point...ended up having to cut the shroud. To be fair though, this was after a wreck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh hey, another Polk Countian!

It isn't too hard to yank the radiator and take a peak at the fan. Check the service manual on directions, I think if you're doing a full flush and everything it's only like a 45-60 minute job. If you don't want to do that just yet, remove your plastic shroud and look under and behind the radiator, and if your fan has exploded you may be able to see signs. Also make sure your shroud isn't bent or distorted and hitting the fan. That was a problem of mine at one point...ended up having to cut the shroud. To be fair though, this was after a wreck.
Thanks for the quick reply. Nice to see a neighbor with CX. I need this bike to get to work should I call in and see whats happening before I ride it? It's 30 miles round trip.

Nice to meet you Cramer

·
Registered
595 Posts
Same for you. I may even be able to give you a hand wrenching, but be warned, I'm still in the learning process as well lol. I do have tons of resources though, so when my things break, if I can't fix 'em, I usually know the right people to help me get it fixed.

As for if you should trust the bike or not, I'm not entirely sure. You may want to read the manual on how to remove, drain, and bleed the radiator. Check the quick reference as well. When you get back in there, you can take a look at your fan. Sometimes they do just come loose, which could be the cause of the noise.

I remember seeing a thread about valves by you a little earlier as well, it's also possible that you may have set them a little bit wide and inspired some clicking you aren't used to.

Any performance differences? Is the engine running hotter than normal?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ok on the way home from work last night I started to hear a clack noise. After further inspection I think it's coming from the radiator but I can't tear it down until monday. Looking at some of the older posts and researching into the old archives I found a few threads on the fan cracking. I do not have any recording equipment. I noticed that when I pull the clutch in it makes a diffrent sound. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks Dan
hi Dan,

how many miles are there on your bike.?

i dont think its your fan,although i could be wrong.

ok,both plugs out,bike on main stand,kill switch to off.spin the motor over,can you hear the fan clicking/hitting the shroud or anything?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi Dan,

how many miles are there on your bike.?

i dont think its your fan,although i could be wrong.

ok,both plugs out,bike on main stand,kill switch to off.spin the motor over,can you hear the fan clicking/hitting the shroud or anything?
Hi Bandit,

Pulled the plugs hit the kill switch and no noises. The bike has 13k on it. Should I readjust the tappets and the cam chain? What do ya think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same for you. I may even be able to give you a hand wrenching, but be warned, I'm still in the learning process as well lol. I do have tons of resources though, so when my things break, if I can't fix 'em, I usually know the right people to help me get it fixed.

As for if you should trust the bike or not, I'm not entirely sure. You may want to read the manual on how to remove, drain, and bleed the radiator. Check the quick reference as well. When you get back in there, you can take a look at your fan. Sometimes they do just come loose, which could be the cause of the noise.

I remember seeing a thread about valves by you a little earlier as well, it's also possible that you may have set them a little bit wide and inspired some clicking you aren't used to.

Any performance differences? Is the engine running hotter than normal?
No its not running hotter. I took it work, need the cash, I tried what bandit suggested and no noise. Man I hope its not the cam chain. It does make a diffrent noise when I pull the clutch in. Dunno brotherman but I needs to ride.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
how many miles on the bike.....mm,not many

do you regularly adjust the camchain etc

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It so difficult to guesses noises

Sudden noises are unlikely to be tappets and cam chain wear

although a chain guide breaking would cause a sudden 'clacking'

and a tappet adjuster screw working its way loose would get progressively louder

A fan breaking up could cause a sudden noise so could some FOD

Spinning it up on the starter with plugs out and listening is a good idea but

wont tell the whole story sadly as the engines being driven, not drivng.

lets see if I have it right

the bike was previously pretty quiet until recently when it started to make noise when

you were riding along?

the noise had persisted ever since?

is it there at startup and tickover and when riding?

My old thing has a well worn transmission and will clatter a bit at tick over but

wheh ridng you cant hear a thing so I doubt its that

Guesses:

Going by its year and mileage

I suspect a possible cam chain guide or fan failure

or possibly a tappet adjuster come loose

or the tensioner has failed/worked loose

Heres an outfield idea.

Clocks. speedo or tacho

they can be surprisingly and alarmingly noisy when they have cable problems

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Did nobody notice that in his opening post to this thread he said:

"I noticed that when I pull the clutch in it makes a diffrent sound" ??

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did nobody notice that in his opening post to this thread he said:

"I noticed that when I pull the clutch in it makes a diffrent sound" ??

That's why I think that it's probably not the fan.

If there's no noise with the killswitch hit, I don't think it can be the fan, as it turns even when you hit the starter button if I'm not mistaken.

This may be a bit of good ol' clutch rattle as well.

Dan, I'm going to send you a PM with my resources, and my personal info. I don't think I have free time today or tomorrow, but my guys are all free when you ask for opinions, if they're not busy.

Lex and Ron of U-Do-It Rentals, and Bobby of Honda of Winter Haven. Bobby is a huge CX guru who's been building them and cafe'ing them for years. He isn't a member of the forums, even though I've tried to get him on. Lex and Ron are just general old bike gurus, and the only people I know of in the area that knows anything about old bikes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how many miles on the bike.....mm,not many

do you regularly adjust the camchain etc
Thanks for the quick reply bandit. I just adjusted them about two weeks ago. I didnt check the maniscus at the end of the tappets. Im going to take them out and sand them down so that I can get a better setting. When I do that I'm going to readjust the cam tensioner again and see what happens. Thats fairly easy so I think I'll start there. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It so difficult to guesses noises

Sudden noises are unlikely to be tappets and cam chain wear

although a chain guide breaking would cause a sudden 'clacking'

and a tappet adjuster screw working its way loose would get progressively louder

A fan breaking up could cause a sudden noise so could some FOD

Spinning it up on the starter with plugs out and listening is a good idea but

wont tell the whole story sadly as the engines being driven, not drivng.

lets see if I have it right

the bike was previously pretty quiet until recently when it started to make noise when

you were riding along?

the noise had persisted ever since?

is it there at startup and tickover and when riding?

My old thing has a well worn transmission and will clatter a bit at tick over but

wheh ridng you cant hear a thing so I doubt its that

Guesses:

Going by its year and mileage

I suspect a possible cam chain guide or fan failure

or possibly a tappet adjuster come loose

or the tensioner has failed/worked loose

Heres an outfield idea.

Clocks. speedo or tacho

they can be surprisingly and alarmingly noisy when they have cable problems
That might be such an outfield idea about the cables. The tach cable went into a high squeal about a month ago and then it snapped. I put in a new cable about a week ago it was spinning fine shut off the bike and then put it in the tach. It then snapped. I'm going to look into that and see if I can retrieve the broken end of the cable out. I am going to do this after I reset the tappets and cam chain. If no change I'll look more Into that cable. Thanks for chiming ing I had forgot about the cable. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That might be such an outfield idea about the cables. The tach cable went into a high squeal about a month ago and then it snapped. I put in a new cable about a week ago it was spinning fine shut off the bike and then put it in the tach. It then snapped. I'm going to look into that and see if I can retrieve the broken end of the cable out. I am going to do this after I reset the tappets and cam chain. If no change I'll look more Into that cable. Thanks for chiming ing I had forgot about the cable. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I just wanted to say about the tach that I assumed the tach was bound up and that was what caused it to snap. I've been on fleabay looking for a new one before I go ahead and try another cable.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tachs would cause some noise. I have a video posted with my tach noise, search for topics I've posted. I think I actually have a spare tach laying around, I'll update you when I can check.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I eadjusted the valves they seemed fine on the right the left side was real tight. I readjusted the camchan tensioner and now its worst than ever. HELP? Still sounds like its coming from the front of the engine.Now I'm afraid to ride it.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
What noise?

how about some show and tell?

its hard to make guesses without hearing it

how about a vid?

Heres Johnny Zs with a knackered cam chain

Something like that?

A broken tensioner blade will sound similar

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCcEbUshgQ&feature=related[/media]

Heres my well thrashed old thing with transmision tap its had since I had it

It as well to remember most of our cheap wee cams tend to make things sound

sharper ie emphasise higher frequencies than they do in real life

my keys dont jangle that much and the trans rattle isnt quite as bad as it sounds

and Look !

Proof I actually clean my bike occaisonally

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-JADnuFHVs[/media]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What noise?

how about some show and tell?

its hard to make guesses without hearing it

how about a vid?

Heres Johnny Zs with a knackered cam chain

Something like that?

A broken tensioner blade will sound similar

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCcEbUshgQ&feature=related[/media]

Heres my well thrashed old thing with transmision tap its had since I had it

It as well to remember most of our cheap wee cams tend to make things sound

sharper ie emphasise higher frequencies than they do in real life

my keys dont jangle that much and the trans rattle isnt quite as bad as it sounds

and Look !

Proof I actually clean my bike occaisonally

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-JADnuFHVs[/media]
Yep it sounds like that reg. Oh chit. Now What should I do?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts