Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gent's took the back of the engine off cam chain and tensioner look in great shape..... I thought maybe the noise was the broken bracket on the crash bar so I put her back together. Started right up like a champion but I still have clicket clack. I redid the valves according to past posts and still clickety clack. Is it possible that one of the pushrods could be bent?????? I know im reaching but if I can't get this ironed out I'm going to part it out. Reg you old cremudgen any Ideas??///Help Guys...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Ok gent's took the back of the engine off cam chain and tensioner look in great shape..... I thought maybe the noise was the broken bracket on the crash bar so I put her back together. Started right up like a champion but I still have clicket clack. I redid the valves according to past posts and still clickety clack. Is it possible that one of the pushrods could be bent?????? I know im reaching but if I can't get this ironed out I'm going to part it out. Reg you old cremudgen any Ideas??///Help Guys...

Sounds like you've dealt with this before in another thread. If so, it might be helpful to link that thread.

This "clicket clac"? Does it change with the engine RPMs?

When you adjusted the valves, was the cylinder on TDC on the compression stroke? You know it's on the compression stroke because both valves will be closed. (Another way to remember this is:.....The only way for compression to build is to have both valves closed.)

When checking your work, there should only be a slight amount of slack on each valve rocker. I think if you had a bent push rod the rod would be slightly shorter..... You should be able to pull the push rods and check them......but I don't think this is your problem..

I'm trying to help you not give up ........I hope it's working....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you've dealt with this before in another thread. If so, it might be helpful to link that thread.

This "clicket clac"? Does it change with the engine RPMs?

When you adjusted the valves, was the cylinder on TDC on the compression stroke? You know it's on the compression stroke because both valves will be closed. (Another way to remember this is:.....The only way for compression to build is to have both valves closed.)

When checking your work, there should only be a slight amount of slack on each valve rocker. I think if you had a bent push rod the rod would be slightly shorter..... You should be able to pull the push rods and check them......but I don't think this is your problem..

I'm trying to help you not give up ........I hope it's working....
http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...gine/page__p__74817__fromsearch__1#entry74817

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
how did you come to the conclusion......both in great shape...any photo,s

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

OKay.....do you have another thead on the engine tare down? I saw the pics on the web. EDIT::::: found the thread: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/7036-cam-chain-knocking/

Something was missed when the engine was out. That is a noise I could not live with! Did anyone from here help you?

Does the noise still change when you pull the clutch in? If so, did you inspect the clutch area? I know the clutch can be pulled by just draining the oil and pulling the clutch 'cover'.

As I recall this bike has under 5000 miles on it....right? VERY low miles for a CX/GL engine to have problems of this type IMO.

Did you buy the Shadow? What are you using for wheels? Just want to know!??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OKay.....do you have another thead on the engine tare down? I saw the pics on the web. EDIT::::: found the thread: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/7036-cam-chain-knocking/

Something was missed when the engine was out. That is a noise I could not live with! Did anyone from here help you?

Does the noise still change when you pull the clutch in? If so, did you inspect the clutch area? I know the clutch can be pulled by just draining the oil and pulling the clutch 'cover'.

As I recall this bike has under 5000 miles on it....right? VERY low miles for a CX/GL engine to have problems of this type IMO.

Did you buy the Shadow? What are you using for wheels? Just want to know!??
Hi Dan,

After tearing down the backend to see if the the camchain was toast I found it was in great shape. During the engine removal I came across a cracked crash bar bracket that I thought just may have been the culprit of making that major clacking noise. I reinstalled the engine and readjusted the tappets and she purrs like a sewing machine. I did buy another bike not the shadow that I wanted, I bought a 2003 yamaha Vstar 650 classicxvs/a with 5k on it for $2500.. USD. I still have the tappet noises on the CX but from what I have read this is normal. The yamaha has no noise at all and I have to say the clickety of the tappets on the cx does bother me but it is my favorite. The cx runs so smooth and is very comfortable for me so it's my everyday ride...

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,005 Posts
Sorry, if it was mentioned in the other thread, but have you checked the fan? If the plastic has begun separating from the aluminum hub, it will clatter. And the camshaft will transmit the noise to the rest of the engine, so it can be difficult to locate.

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts