Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked before, kind of hard to fine cleaning stuff not related to the inside of carbs.

I am going around my cx and fixing and cleaning stuff, and I have come to the carbs, I have already cleaned the inside and re-jet them, but the outside has this tarnished look to them that doesn't look to nice. I have already tried white diamond polish with no luck.

Does any one have a method to cleaning the outside of the carbs?
These pictures are the current appearance of the carbs.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
114 Posts
Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked before, kind of hard to fine cleaning stuff not related to the inside of carbs.

I am going around my cx and fixing and cleaning stuff, and I have come to the carbs, I have already cleaned the inside and re-jet them, but the outside has this tarnished look to them that doesn't look to nice. I have already tried white diamond polish with no luck.

Does any one have a method to cleaning the outside of the carbs?
These pictures are the current appearance of the carbs. View attachment 205506 View attachment 205507
look in to some one that does vapor blasting
you have to disassemble the carburetors to have them vapor blasted
they will come out looking brand new after

I my self just build a vapor blaster and it work awesome good way to clean all parts and its safe will not remove any material
I build it for about $600 Can and that was well spend money

Cheers
TLD

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
114 Posts
Update to the vapor blasting
before and after pictures
now it's ready for polishing
Sure nice to have a Vapor Blaster

TLD

Attachments

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
i have one but have stopped using it for carbs i just use it for the brackets and engine parts ect
i have seen to many carbs ruined already to use it for that anymore it can just to easilt get in places you cant really get the beads out of even
with ultrasonic cleaning
and once you use the ultrasonic cleaner to clean something with media you have to stop and clean the ultra sonic cleaner or
it will spread the beads around its just to big of a contaminate for me to deal with considering the numbers of carbs i deal with
so be careful

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
if you can find it start with a can of CRC gasket remover. It will strip any clear coat that is on the AL covers and will really make life much more pleasant. it works really
Gasket remover is basically just paint & varnish remover in a spray can. Every hardware store has paint & varnish remover and it is easier to control where it goes with a brush.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 205508

Rub the bowls and caps down to 2000 and polish with autosol on a rag.

Fine steel wool the bodies and once again rag polish with autosol.
I will try this,
I do have a question, from your picture it looks like there is a different fuel pipe that is running between the carbs. What is that from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update to the vapor blasting
before and after pictures
now it's ready for polishing
Sure nice to have a Vapor Blaster

TLD
I consider medium blasting, but as Murray stated I ma nervous about getting something inside the carbs that I can not get out, and $600 just to make the carbs look good is quite a bit, lol. If i were to spend that kinda money I might just get some mikuni carbs form Murray .

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Gasket remover is basically just paint & varnish remover in a spray can. Every hardware store has paint & varnish remover and it is easier to control where it goes with a brush.
If you say so... I have used many "paint removers" over the yrs and none have done a better job. BUT... you know all.... With out even trying something new.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Actually, I have a half can of gasket remover spray in my shop. I haven't used it in years except the odd time I need to remove paint and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the paint remover.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts
I've been using aircraft stripper on gasket faces. It's more aggressive than a household paint stripper. I suspect the aerosol gasket remover is similar.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I've been using aircraft stripper on gasket faces. It's more aggressive than a household paint stripper. I suspect the aerosol gasket remover is similar.
my local parts supplier keeps it in back and you have to ask for it. I have never tried aircraft stripper nor where to find it.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Potent stuff. I'm not sure i'd want it in an aerosol. Might be hard to control the overspray.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
A lot of my local auto parts stores stock it. It's commonly used in automotive applications. It will take factory finishes right off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.