Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Gotta upload some pics, but I basically got a dual pot caliper from a VF500 (same as the brake on the CX650 if I recall correctly) and was able to clean it up pretty well by takeing it all the way apart, and putting al lof the bits i nthe ultrasonice cleaner. I was surprised how well it turned out, basically getting al lthe crap out that I didn't even know was there.

Should have the rebuild kit for this soon, and will be able to put it back together, with some HH pads, and really upgrade my brakes. The entire caliper only cost me $20 with the bracket included.

Just thought everyone should think about what else they can clean up with their ultrasonic cleaner, especially if they buy one for their carbs. It even got the crap out of the bleeder screw, which is pretty good. Only thing I needed to clean by hand were the pistons, which were a little cruddy, and the slide pins, which I just chocked up in the drill, and hit with some emery papaer to take the little nicks out of them.

Will post some pictures when I get a chance, if anyone is interested.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Good job on the cleaning and good price.

David in Wisconsin did a superb job for me on the same type of caliper. I just rebuilt it earlier this week and am waiting to get a spare second to put it on. When I brought it to him the pistons had so much film on them that they physically couldn't be pushed back into the caliper.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That is awesome Mike! I too have found other uses for the ultrasonic cleaner. You know that dipping your fingers in there will help get the grease out from under your fingernails? What a great device!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Hello,

Gotta upload some pics, but I basically got a dual pot caliper from a VF500 (same as the brake on the CX650 if I recall correctly) and was able to clean it up pretty well by takeing it all the way apart, and putting al lof the bits i nthe ultrasonice cleaner. I was surprised how well it turned out, basically getting al lthe crap out that I didn't even know was there.

Should have the rebuild kit for this soon, and will be able to put it back together, with some HH pads, and really upgrade my brakes. The entire caliper only cost me $20 with the bracket included.

Just thought everyone should think about what else they can clean up with their ultrasonic cleaner, especially if they buy one for their carbs. It even got the crap out of the bleeder screw, which is pretty good. Only thing I needed to clean by hand were the pistons, which were a little cruddy, and the slide pins, which I just chocked up in the drill, and hit with some emery papaer to take the little nicks out of them.

Mike
I have seen these cleaners mentioned, what brands are people buying and what kind of prices do they run? Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
and the slide pins, which I just chocked up in the drill, and hit with some emery papaer to take the little nicks out of them.

Never thought of doing it like that.....genius!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, this is the one I got

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

I think it is big enough to not split the carbs actually, I think Larry mentioned this one was big enough.

No idea about getting the grease out of my fingernails - clever idea

EMT - I had the drill sitting there, and just figured, why not? What could go wrong

Mike

·
Registered
670 Posts
Close, you can fit both carb bodies in it, but they have to be seperated. You need to seperate them to remove the air valve frome one of the bodies anyway before you use this, and you have to seperate them tho do that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Close, you can fit both carb bodies in it, but they have to be seperated. You need to seperate them to remove the air valve frome one of the bodies anyway before you use this, and you have to seperate them tho do that.

Good to know!

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow... Looking back, I really can't type well on my phone... Or make complete sentences

No big deal, the important part is that we could understand you

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harbor Freight has a 20% off for St Patrick's Day!!! BTW, what do you use for a liquid in them? Just ordered one.

I just used really hot water with a bit of dish soap. I bet simple green or something would work just as well. The cleaner has a heater in it too which is slick. I moved the parts around and let them go multiple cycles. Some of the grease did not come off, I bet a harsher solvent would have cured this, but I just used a bike of brake cleaner to clean out the one caliper slide hole.

Mike

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Yup, this is the one I got

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

I think it is big enough to not split the carbs actually, I think Larry mentioned this one was big enough.

No idea about getting the grease out of my fingernails - clever idea

EMT - I had the drill sitting there, and just figured, why not? What could go wrong

Mike
I had therapy on my hand and talking to the therapist she said not to put my hands in the ultrasonic cleaner. They were warned not to do that during their training.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hello,

Mike
man! i just did mine .... well i think i did mine,,,, probably after i see you pics i'll do mine again , the right way,,,, thanks

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i think mine on the 81 might be beyond help.

stripped the front down yesterday....not good

parts of the brake system are missing..oh well

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bandit, What's missing in your picture, looks like everything is there to me. Do you not have the brake shoe spring or something?

Gstring, I used hot water and some dish soap - you could use simple green or I am sure lots of other stuff.

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought one of the Harbor Frieght Ultra Sonic Cleaners a couple of days ago, and for the money it isn't bad. My copy seems to do much better in the middle than the edges, but am happy with it despite. So far, I have only used Simple Green and warm water (1:5 ratio) in it. The parts I have thrown in it have come out very clean. Wished I would have had one years ago!

BTW The unit does a great job cleaning up sockets and wrenches!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.