Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took them apart and put them in a bath to clean them out. worked great. before i did so one cylender only fired when i was above 1k rpm and intermittent at that. at above 70 it was full time, inbetween those it varied with speed. afterwards i could only get the one cylender to fire when i jerked the throttle around and then it only fired a few times in a row then quit. i didnt take anything off of a pair of nipples ont he carborators, they face each other and are near the fuel tube. they are the kind that have a hose on them. can anyone, if they know im talking about, tell me what they are suppose to be for? oh also on the right carb(sitting on the bike) there is one that is by the motor end of the carb. its plugged. what is that one for? im wondering all this because now i cant even get the motor to fire.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The two nipples you refer to are probably the vents for the float bowl. They need to remain uncovered with no hose attached to either one. The other nipple may be the vacuum port for the petcock. Without knowing what model bike you have, I can't tell if you have a vacuum petcock or not. Put your bike's model in the signature line on the profile page, then it will show up on every post you do. And add your location too, a lot of us would like to help a neighbor, but we don't know where you are.

Back to the carbs. Putting them in a bath doesn't clean out the jets, passages, and other areas of a carb. They MUST be disassembled, soaked, probed, blown out with cleaner, all jets opened to factory specs, and blown out with compressed air. Any less than a thorough cleaning just causes you to chase problems in the wrong areas. If you don't have Larry's carb cleaning book, I would recommend getting it, and following it to the letter.

Read some posts concerning carb problems too, they can contain a wealth of information to help you out. I know, I know, reading old posts may be boring, but not being able to ride because of problems is boring too. If there was a magic pill to clean carbs, this site would have half the members and half the posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
82 cx500 custom, ill have to figuer out how to add it to my info later. at a friends house atm. i live in lehigh acres florida(sw fl). where do i get this book on carb cleaning? i know i have spark and i know its getting fuel. i think that its actualy getting to much. im working on testing that atm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha! found out the problem. the spark plugs died on me. new plugs work wonders. i was going to post pics of the carbs, but it said i cant use that image extension. http://tinypic.com/r/zptso/4 http://tinypic.com/r/xfrbwp/4 http://tinypic.com/r/spkutz/4 guess links work though. first one, from bottom up, silver bar, red bar, silver bar. copper nipple. that one. second image has a small hose with a screw hiding behind the large hose in the middle. its that one. the third image is for the same thing. its to the left of the overflow cap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The small brass nipple is definitely the vent, and should remain open. The other is one I'm not familiar with (I have a GL, not a CX) but it appears to join the venturi near the choke shaft. It looks to be a couple inches long and as you say is plugged with a screw. CX-perts?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Showmedude said:
The other is one I'm not familiar with (I have a GL, not a CX) but it appears to join the venturi near the choke shaft. It looks to be a couple inches long and as you say is plugged with a screw. CX-perts?

Vacuum port, bike must have a normal petcock or one that's been modified to supply fuel without that "feature".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ty ty. fun stuff still with the bike. right carb only fires when you crank the throttle, hard. and only intermittently. well it was. once i was traveling down the road at 70 on one cyl for 10 min it kicked in full time for about 30 sec then the bike shut off. let it sit for a while and it started up then did the same thing. battery died before i got it started again. now i have to make a 25 mile trip to go get it. i was on my way to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts