Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up some "classic" style tires. I really like the look of the Firestone Classic Deluxe tires. Being very new to motorcycles, I don't have a built up list of preferred online retail stores yet.

Where is the best place to pick these up?

Also, can you put tires on yourself with some tire wrenches like a bike tire?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Not a clue where you would get those tires. I had a similar looking one but it was flat and made turning a challenge. I would suggest looking for tires at Motorcycle Superstore and Dennis Kirk. Both online.

And yes it's the same as with a bicycle but way harder depending on the tire age, what you know and how much practice you have had.

I do all my tires in my living room since I live in an apartment. I balance them on two equally high milk crates with books on them. Just go to youtube and you will see many ways for it to be done.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Don't go for the classic look unless you are going to park the bike and stare at it. They are not that good dry or in the rain compared to more modern tread designs.

I made that mistake one time with an X-6 Suzuki about 25 years ago and I will never make that mistake again.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Make that 3, I can't imagine the functionality of that type. Show only. These bikes if shown would only be served best as functional IMHO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I live in the city, and I'll only be riding it within Chicago 99% of the time. I don't plan on taking it on the highway much at all. Or in the rain for that matter.

Still, you should remember that the contact patch for the motorcycles tires is only the size of your palm, you want the most amount of traction you can get, those few square inches are all that may save you when you have to do a quick stop to avoid someone pulling out of an alley.

One might argue that the city is where you might need the most traction, there are many types of hazards that you would need to avoid and you want the best tires to help you.

If you are set on the look and such, go for it - just know the limits of the tires you buy.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I cant remember but I swear you might have said that you don't know how to ride yet or haven't been riding long. Either way riding that tire is going to be a pain in the ass even on the streets of chicago. It will affect your riding. But if you want some close input why not ask one of your brothers? http://www.halffastchicago.com/forum/index.php

What ever you do get the bike running and mark June 18th on your calendar. You want to be at Mods vs Rockers. Google it if you don't know what it is. It's held just off lincoln I believe.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what it is and have been wanting to go for the past 2 years I've lived here. When I mentioned I saw that Half Fast sticker at a bar, I meant Cobra Lounge. The mods vs. rockers after party meet is usually there.

Yes, I only have about 3 hours of seat time on a bike. I've got lessons scheduled in a month and the license exam.

Are there any classic style tires that are still good performers?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I live in the city, and I'll only be riding it within Chicago 99% of the time. I don't plan on taking it on the highway much at all. Or in the rain for that matter.
The only way I would use those tires is on a sidecar rig. Please ... don't buy them if you want to keep the motorcycle and yourself off the pavement.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I second Dave. I also hope you have a back up practice bike in case you can't get yours in total operation before testing. Most test places want fully functional bikes with turn signals, horns and other things that cafe guys think are novelty.

Half Fast is also on facebook. Sometimes they have local events that they announce.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Half-Fast-Chicago/60432778480

There's also Chicago Vintage Moto. http://chivinmoto.com/wordpress/

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree that you would be seriously unhappy with the performance of the tires, plus the fact that the Firestone and Coker replica/classic tires are not tubeless.

I also think they would not look right on the CX/GL Comstar and reverse Comstar wheels, and finding the right sizes may not be possible anyway. But... if you insist on trying... J&P Cycle's Vintage catalog has a selection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look, I spent 50 years riding bikes in Chicago. You will be amazed. If you think your fellow drivers are rude, wait till you view them from a bike. Make sure your health and life insurance are up to date.

OK, I will try to be useful. First beware of motorcycle eating potholes. Jane Byrne became mayor over this one. Next, even with your headlight on, people coming towards you in traffic will want to make that left turn, just as you get to the intersection (right in to you). Next, watch out for parked cars opening their left door as you go by. Finally, you become a medical donor if you tailgate or don't wear a helmet AT ALL TIMES.

I had one acquaintance killed just before his wedding by tailgating. I had another lose both his legs hitting a guard rail.

Don't drive dowtown until you are really experienced. Stick to the suburbs or retire to Wisconsin like I did.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
As an FYI:

These bikes never came with tires that looked like that If you want original tires for a display bike I can give you some off the 6K bike I am fixing up to sell in the spring. You can do like Burt Munro and put shoeblack into the cracks and no one will know they are age cracked.

Otherwise, just so you know those tires will follow every rain groove and mark in the road and will be extremely squirrelly on cheese grater bridges. They also are terrible in the rain ... and you will ride in the rain even if you don't want to do so.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Classic and what you're thinking of are two different things. You're thinking of a tire style beyond the vintage of these bikes. I'm thinking pre 70's. Even the stock tires for these bikes are better than the one in the picture shown. Tires have evolved a lot since then.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.