Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Yeah they're the same thing.

Most people polish their aluminum covers and they look the same. But the upkeep can sometimes bee a pain in the ass. So some chrome them.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Hmmmmm They look nice but Im a bit leary of it. Have a feeling NateDawg may be right, but worse I find it very hard to believe these are "real and rare". First off, while I do know some companies (makers and aftermarket companies) chrome engine parts, Im not sure if these covers would have ever been "from the dealer". I have seen from the manufacturer chrome tanks, bars etc, but not many engines chromed.

Chrome is extreamly hard and has a very different thermal expansion value than aluminum, making chrome plating of large thin aluminum shells uncommon. Nickle alloy plating has replaced a lot of chrome plating these days due to the expense and hazards of chrome plating (illegal in Canada to chrome plate without a special ministry lisence and hazardous product control and disposal).

I actually started looking into this subject about a month ago. I wanted to chrome some parts but found it hugely expensive, but then ran across Nickle allow plating. Looks almost identical to chrome but does not require electroplating and doesnt use hazardous chemicals (cyanide based acids). I am currently checking with a manufacturer to see if aluminum plating is feasable (based on thermal range of the part. If I like the answers I will set a plating section in the shop :)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Alsa has a powder coat which they claim is indistinguishable from real chrome. I've seen it in their catalog and on their web page, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it in real life. It's much more expensive than regular powder, but a helluva lot cheaper than real plating.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Alsa won't last long, not at all. I've used it many times.

You mean their "real chrome" in a can, or the new powder coat stuff? I've never used any of their products on a vehicle, if you watch the chrome in a can being applied, it looks like a micro thin layer. Makes sense that it would come off really easily too.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Shep, do you know if they came that was from Honda or were done after the fact. I know some engine makers have chromed engines you can buy but didnt know if these came this way from Honds. Reason I am uncertain is I did ask a chrome plating company here about chroming some stuff on my bike, and while they said they would chrome any steel part (or alloy) they wouldnt chrome any aluminum parts (for the reasons I listed that they told me). Maybe he was full of crap or there is something special to do it he didnt or coulndt do. I just found it strange he would price chroming my engine block but wouldnt do the valvee covers. Regardless, the amount I was quoted was more than the price of a "mint" condition CX500 lol.

Anyway, still looking into this Nickle-Alloy plating, which can be done easily and relitively cheap by the home mechanic. Setup kit runs about $200.00, which contains the chemicals, vat and ceramic heater. No electroplating, just stick it in the solution and let it sit there for X-time/Y-thickness.

Almost have enough mad money to buy it, then will try it out and let eveyone know how it goes :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry not seen chrome ones on mates cx's or anywhere else for that matter. Wondered if like powder coated bits they needed work to make them fit, Been watching American chopper) but i guess if these have already been on a bike they'd be ok. I have repainted the frame on my bike and am painting the engine black. Thought I need more Chrome to smarten it up, I've started to bring the alloy back using wire wool, but they were in a bad state.

I have a pair of Chrome Head covers on my other CX500

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Shep, do you know if they came that was from Honda or were done after the fact. I know some engine makers have chromed engines you can buy but didnt know if these came this way from Honds. Reason I am uncertain is I did ask a chrome plating company here about chroming some stuff on my bike, and while they said they would chrome any steel part (or alloy) they wouldnt chrome any aluminum parts (for the reasons I listed that they told me). Maybe he was full of crap or there is something special to do it he didnt or coulndt do. I just found it strange he would price chroming my engine block but wouldnt do the valvee covers. Regardless, the amount I was quoted was more than the price of a "mint" condition CX500 lol.

Anyway, still looking into this Nickle-Alloy plating, which can be done easily and relitively cheap by the home mechanic. Setup kit runs about $200.00, which contains the chemicals, vat and ceramic heater. No electroplating, just stick it in the solution and let it sit there for X-time/Y-thickness.

Almost have enough mad money to buy it, then will try it out and let eveyone know how it goes :)

They came with my original CX500 but I think the PO must have had them chromed as the tank had a customized tank job as well.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Honda never sold these as chromed parts. They were all polished aluminum with a clear coat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.