Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is almost sacrilege but does any active member of the forum have an opinion on hacking up a GL500 frame like Isaac did in Archived forum post:

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/13688/ShowPost.aspx

Since it appears he no longer posts on these forums I'm curious how this worked out. I think it looks awesome but worry that cutting out the rear triangle will either compromise the bike entirely, or compromise my rear end entirely the first time I hit a bump :p Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I think that you should have something there. Sure you might not bent the crap out of whats left of the seat area but a little bit of support would be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that you should have something there. Sure you might not bent the crap out of whats left of the seat area but a little bit of support would be nice.

Obviously you'd mount a seat of some sort... Just talking structurally whether the rear triangle is needed for support for the bike, or my 180+lb self.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
As far as the frame structure goes, you have not changed the bike much. Maybe lost 20 pounds behind the shock, but that is nothing. What you have there to mount a seat to was designed to hold more than what is there now obviously.

·
Super Moderator
23,117 Posts
I'm not familiar with the monoshock variants of these bikes so I don't know what has been removed from this frame but it seems to me you will need a couple of extra tubes or gussets in there.

As a static load it would undoubtably take 180 pounds but I think as a dynamic load you would be looking at metal fatigue up by the welds sooner or later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not familiar with the monoshock variants of these bikes so I don't know what has been removed from this frame...

Here is a picture of a GL500 frame for reference from another archived post:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i think you're crazy! haha, I would hate to hit a bump at 50 mph and have the rear wheel grind my but off. at minimum, I'd put 2 small triangles at the base of those rods going towards the back...

something even as minimal as this :

·
Super Moderator
23,117 Posts
There's been a fairly significant diagonal support removed there.

I'd definately be thinking of putting something in there.

Perhaps a curved member so as not to refill a place you are probably trying to empty.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Honestly, I think you are ok, but it's just an opinion. I personally wouldn't do it because I think it's not worth the risk. That said, here is why I think it might be ok. At first glance when you are only looking at the frame, it appears to be the only solid structure... but it's what isn't there that matters.

Once you put the engine and transmission into the frame it creates the main triangular supporting structure. It's that structure that holds the bike together. That back structure is there to hold up two riders and mount gear to... and that's about it.

This is definitely a "Do At Your OWN RISK!" activity. You could end up looking Cool, or you could end up a Darwin Award Winner. Only time would tell. LOL!
-- Maybe that's why he doesn't post here anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm currently building a gl500 that looks like this bike, and i keep thinking of whether or not to cut the frame like this... Only things I worry about are:

Falling off the back of the bike on a bump

The battery location and wiring location

The support of the frame and strength

·
Registered
979 Posts
The po hacked mine, but did it right where the triangle meets so it still has the support, airbox and battery are stock

·
Registered
101 Posts
i've done the same thing as you dak.. but that look he has is pretty tempting haha.

Although you would have to:

put pods in

rejet

change battery location

wiring

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yeah, it does look pretty good. Have you seen gobears bike? He built a box where the hbox was for the battery

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's interesting... I would have to look into a smaller battery.. the big bulky one i have no just wouldn't flow too well with a cut like that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here are a few pictures of what I did with my GL. I had the same idea you did, but i just didnt trust those two tubes to hold up my 200 LBS ass. The way i did it gives it a different look so it doesnt look stock, but it still gives me the piece of mind it will hold.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Here are a few pictures of what I did with my GL. I had the same idea you did, but i just didnt trust those two tubes to hold up my 200 LBS ass. The way i did it gives it a different look so it doesnt look stock, but it still gives me the piece of mind it will hold.

Is that the normal route for the rear brake rod on a GL? On top?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.