Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've started a brand new forum on a brand new server, it's only fitting that this is where I'll debut my brand new project. ChopperCharles has been my namesake since I built a 650 chopper out of an 82 CX500. Well, I'm at it again.... but this time it's no chopper. It's a sport bike / street fighter that I'm creating. Check out the photos.

Yes, those forks bolted right on. They're from a 95 GSXR-750. I bought a tapered roller bearing kit and used the bottom race and bearing for the CX500. It fit right on. For the top, I used the race included in the kit, but I had to buy a slightly different bearing because the GSXR shaft diameter is 1mm smaller than the 78 CX500.

That's a 650 motor in there, just freshened with all new seals, clutch, starter clutch, etc. Check the 6-piston calipers up front (and the radial master cylinder), the GL1100 rear wheel disc brake conversion with a 17" radial tire, and... of course, the custom-built monoshock rear suspension.

The monoshock is off of a SV650, and the swingarm and linkage are from a GL500. The swingarm had to be heavily modified to fit the 500, and the entire frame piece where the center stand attaches had to be cut off the GL500 and welded to the CX500 frame. The dog bones were also modified to give me a little more ride height in the rear.

That's your teaser for today, more details forthcoming!

Charles.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Charles,

That kicks tremendous amounts of ass ! That's the meanest looking tank ever on any bike and I think you're on to something. What's the reservior for near the shock ?

And on a side note, thanks for the new forum.

·
Registered
154 Posts
charles, i guess it had that high of a stance in the rear when i dropped off that frame to you but i didn't notice. i bet with that height you could put something like a single cbr can under your seat. might have to make a new pan, or do something to tie it all together... but it'd look nice if done well.

and bravo on the welding job. the patch looks great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like to see the progress as it moves along. Looks a little dangerous right now. And dangerous is a good thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nice! Looking forward to future posts!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks like a Great build, Charles.

is that one of those "pitbike" hydrolic clutch conversion kits?

I've been wanting to try one, but wasn't sure it would have the strength to be worth it.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a Great build, Charles.

is that one of those "pitbike" hydrolic clutch conversion kits?

I've been wanting to try one, but wasn't sure it would have the strength to be worth it.

yes it is, and save your money. The lever has about 2" of play up and down, and the whole thing feels like it will break if I sneeze hard. I'm going to get a magura hydraulic clutch conversion kit. It's $200 vs $30... but you get what you pay for.

Hell, I might just get the slave cylinder and use the master from a honda with a hydraulic clutch. (It just so happens I have a spare V65 magna clutch master cylinder lying around)

Note that the slave that comes with the pitbike clutch does not have a standard banjo mount, nor does it have a bleeder screw. I inadvertently got air in the line, and it's impossible to bleed. The banjo actually uses two o-rings, not washers. So I can't even crack the banjo to bleed it - do that too many times and the o-rings tear.

Front end is off of a 1995 GSX-R750. The bottom bearing is right out of the CX500 tapered roller bearing kit. The top is different though. The GSXR's upper steering head is 1mm in diameter smaller than the CX500's. The CX500 has a 26mm shaft and takes a 26x48.5x15.2 bearing (this is what comes in the tapered roller bearing kit) The GSXR has a 25mm shaft and takes a 25x47x15 bearing. So what I needed was a 25x48.5x15.2 bearing. That bearing is not made, it doesn't exist. What I did was get a 25x48x15 bearing and use it with the race that came with the kit for the CX500.

The other alternative was to use the CX500 upper bearing and to shim the gsxr tube. But I figured the difference was extremely minimal and everything operates smoothly with the slightly undersized bearing, and it was an easy drop-in.

You'll have to weld the steering stops and you'll also have to move the tank backwards about half an inch, maybe three quarters, in order for the forks to have enough room to rotate without smacking the tank. (a Custom may not have this issue). I was able to do that without having to relocate the seat mounts. I unbolted the seat bracket and elongated the holes slightly, bolted it back on, and modified the latches a little, and the seat is a super tight fit, but it does fit with the tank moved rearward. To move the tank backwards I had to cut off the old tangs for the rubber bumpers and weld new ones on (just used solid rod).

Rear wheel wasn't actually that much worse. It's a stock GL1100 rear wheel, axle, spacers, and caliper. You can see how I welded on a caliper stop. To get the oversized GL1100 axle to work in the GL500 final drive I simply drilled the axle hole larger. Yeah. That's it. Worked like a charm. I had to remove the stock spacer between the wheel and the final drive and use a cut-down GL1100 spacer there. I also needed several thick washers under the axle bolt - the GL1100 axle is longer, but you need it pushed all the way through to keep the caliper in the proper location.

That resiviour that's been commented on is for the rear brake, not for the shock.

Charles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I too want to thank you for the new site. and i am going to be following this build. I like the direction its going.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Interesting.

Powder coated black with a black rim, that would be a pretty nice front end rig.

Now that you have cleaned up the rear area, you can also get a GSXR fully adjustable rear shock in to replace the SV's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looking good Charles. Love the look of that front end.

I'm curious why you didn't just get a GL instead of doing so much hacking?

·
Administrator
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking good Charles. Love the look of that front end.

I'm curious why you didn't just get a GL instead of doing so much hacking?

Because that would be easy and not nearly so much fun! That, and I'm building a custom 2-into-2 high scrambler-type exhaust that the GL frame would be in the way of. My ideas don't start off practical, they start off way out there, and then I see how much I can actually do with the tools and experience I have.

Charles.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Because that would be easy and not nearly so much fun! That, and I'm building a custom 2-into-2 high scrambler-type exhaust that the GL frame would be in the way of. My ideas don't start off practical, they start off way out there, and then I see how much I can actually do with the tools and experience I have.

Charles.

Haha, that makes sense

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Charles.

Charles, the truth has come out! Lets face it you love to cut up bikes and produce one of a kind, heavy metal (music) type of bikes. So far, so good, looking good. This is one thread I will try to follow.

Gene

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
I'm building a custom 2-into-2 high scrambler-type exhaust...
I'll be interested to see that exhaust. Eventually, I'll need to come up with something similar for the AdvWing project.

R

1 - 20 of 138 Posts