Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
There is a collar under the rubber cover at the top of the body of the cable housing. Turn it counter clockwise to loosen it up. It may be too tight and wont let you push it back down.

Also, you will notice that there is a flat side on the metal shaft. If you pulled it out all the way it is probably turned out of position. turn it slightly each way and get it lined back up with the notch in the housing so it will slide back in.

The knob on the housing is used to set the resistance so that the cable will stay in position while the motor is warming up. Too loose and it just goes back in.

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
They will start cold without it, but it also depends on how clean the low jet circuit is in the carbs as well as all the jets. And, it depends on how cold the weather is at the time. During winter they tend to need the choke for a bit. If you are having trouble with it now, try opening up the mixture screws to 2 1/2 turns or more. It should help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a collar under the rubber cover at the top of the body of the cable housing. Turn it counter clockwise to loosen it up. It may be too tight and wont let you push it back down.

Also, you will notice that there is a flat side on the metal shaft. If you pulled it out all the way it is probably turned out of position. turn it slightly each way and get it lined back up with the notch in the housing so it will slide back in.

The knob on the housing is used to set the resistance so that the cable will stay in position while the motor is warming up. Too loose and it just goes back in.
Problem solved. I removed the cable from the bike and it was as you suggested, the metal shaft has a flat side. The flat side is supposed to line up with the flat side of the threaded body that sits below the bracket that holds the lever on. It was turned slightly (I must have pulled it out too far). I put the choke lever knob in a vice then used a pair of pliers to twist the choke assembly tube back and forth until it loosened up and the whole metal shaft slid right out of the assembly. Then I lined up the flat side of the metal shaft with the flat side of the threaded part of the assembly and it slid right back in.

After I reinstalled the choke cable, I adjusted the collar on the top of the cable housing so my choke stays up now! Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They will start cold without it, but it also depends on how clean the low jet circuit is in the carbs as well as all the jets. And, it depends on how cold the weather is at the time. During winter they tend to need the choke for a bit. If you are having trouble with it now, try opening up the mixture screws to 2 1/2 turns or more. It should help.

It will start up fine without choke, I am curious from the standpoint of richness. I am trying to work out my MPG gremlins.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If mixture is too rich, try turning your mixture screw in 1/2 a turn. It's possible that your carbs may have been rejetted, some time in their life. Maybe a previous owner had removed the mufflers and did it. Then put the old mufflers back on, and sold it.

Also change your air filter, and check out whats inside the airbox.

Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts