Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Atul Indian tuk tuk with CX500 engine project.
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have another thread on here “cx500 engine in a tuk tuk”
www.what-the-tuk.com is our charity website on our quest to drive from the UK to the artic circle.

We have been experiencing overheating issues the whole way ( past 5 days ) this engine I think could be toast, we changed the head gaskets yesterday and it’s puffing white smoke out of left cylinder and starting to overheat. Is anyone on this forum local to Asmundtorp, Sweden.
0044758167406 is my number.

I think we need another engine, does anyone have any knowledge or contacts in the area? Absolute nightmare, we are distraught. Totally gutting. Currently sitting at the side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,925 Posts
How many times did you re-torque the head bolts and how long did you let it cool between each time? This is critical and can take several days to do right....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many times did you re-torque the head bolts and how long did you let it cool between each time? This is critical and can take several days to do right....
3 times. It was pretty good to be honest on the torque wrench. We have had issues with this engine for a while, we need a new engine. Something fundamental is wrong with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hej,
Pretty close to Asmundtorp (~40 km).
Have engine and some parts.
Sture
Thank you Sture, I have sent you a private message please can you contact me? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've tried to phone you. Doesn't work. My No. is +46 735831042.
Sture

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just to clarify:
The spare engine I have (still in the frame of its bike) was suspected (by its previous owner to need a new cam chain. To my ears the engine sounded really healthy, but the tensioner is fully out. Took the fan off and then work on it stopped. I haven´t had time, so that bike just sits there. I have at least one new cam chain. Also some other parts, as head gaskets. Will check tomorrow and then talk to Adam. .Hope we can sort this.

Sture.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,452 Posts
Sture, I immediately thought of you. Kudos for stepping up!

Reactions: Dragonstaff

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Old timers RULE! 😁

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sture to the rescue. Again.

Art Font Event Pattern Symmetry

Sture, I immediately thought of you. Kudos for stepping up!

Old timers RULE! 😁

Thanks, guys!

Nice to be "alive" again, even for just a short-ish moment.
Don´t ride any more, so my two CX-es just rest quietly in the garage, collecting dust..

Nice blokes, these two UK "idiots" as they seem to call themselves! I will not argue ;)
They´re on a Charity Run around thje Baltic Sea. Their engine seems to have had serious problerms from the start. Probably a cracked head. Once in Sweden it gave up some 40 kms from where I live. I went there to check things.Offered them one of my emgines for free. Only nice to help and that engine will come to better use than time will allow for me. New cam chain needed, only.

They did the job themselves with occasional help from a couiple of young neighbor blokes. Dropped my engine and transferred carbs and ignition parts (RaySan module). Once put togetheer and at first test they realized that the timing was one tooth off. Engine out again! Then the tappets were set at the wrong stroke.So it took a wjhile.

Yesterday evening they set of at 6 o´clock. I got a test ride in the Tuk-tuk and it really goes as a cannon ball. 110 kph they told me was top speed. Takes some guts!!

Today I heard they still have cooling problems, The engine is tucked away under the floor so even an extra radiator with fan wasn´t enough. They
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Automotive tire

´re working on it.

Thought you might want to know..

Cheers
Sture

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone, sorry not replied! Sture, absolute gentleman, a friend for life! We got there in the end through grit and determination while being surrounded by kind people. Cannot thank sture enough!

So the cooling issue was still an issue, we have spend the last day or so trying to get on top of it which we have now. The tuk tuk looks like a delorean, but if it works, it works hahah.

A massive thanks to the people of this forum for coming together to support us, it really is appreciated. I believe we can crack on now and pump some serious Km in. When back in the uk I will modify the tuk based on our findings, but for now we have done some brutal bush fixes. Top of engine goes to top of front radiator, then it comes out the bottom to top of our first radiator which has a fan on the back.. then into the engine. It’s really under control now even if the tuk looks terrible haha.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Blue

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I love to see these engines put to other creative uses. Adam should get an award for determination (and luck!). Thanks to Sture, you make us proud to be part of this little community of eccentrics. 👍

Reactions: Dragonstaff

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Eccentric? Moi??😃
Btw:
They made it around the Baltic, even up to Cape North. Two extremely determined guys, these two! And very nice!

Reactions: richnct

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sture, you were incredible. I’m absolutely knackered and just having a couple of days to myself but I will post up photos on here.. thank you for everything my friend!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts