Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new set of tires on the Nighthawk, and will need a new front on the GL once I get it together. For the price of having three tires installed, it seems I could buy all of the tools to do it myself.

My problem is I dont really have space for one of the big bead popper that most people have/build. I was wondering if one of these would work well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...QptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_500wt_1182

I also dont have a compressor, but I could borrow one if seating the bead is more work than one trip to the gas station would require.

So, the big question. How much does changing tires suck? How long would you guess it would take a beginner to change one tire (not including taking it off the bike)?

And is balancing really as easy as it seams?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I have been in the past a,"Tyre and Exhaust" fitter.Although I will take my tyres off the rims to clean my rims(I use slime Anti-Puncture fluid) I take them to my local Car tyre place to get them fitted.They do them cheaper than motorcycle shops.

I use a C/G clamp to break the beads with a bit of wood under the clamp to spread the load and have a couple of large Tyre levers,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...Z380229151951QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Mine are 24"

And a rubber camping mallet,

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUBBER-MALLET-1...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efae800d7

Tip:Cut a little plastic oblong off an old plastic milk/oil container or similar and slide under bar at the rim to prevent damage to the rims.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Changing tires sucks like I would imagine getting a tooth pulled without being numb. Maybe even worse. You and your family and neighbors will prob learn new swear words from what will come out of your mouth and butt (from the straining). You may very well break any number of tools and/or other inanimate objects within reach and throwing distance. Hopefully no living things will be harmed except for your new blood blistered finger tips, torn knuckles, bruised knees, and larger than before hemorroid.

IMO it sucks at least that bad.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've changed a lot of tires in the past month and while I own a Harbor Freight tire changer & motorcycle wheel adapter, I only pulled it out to break the beads on the 16" scooter tires.

Three spoons and plenty of tire lube made short work of removing and installing the tires.

I've got a three foot long, half inch drill rod I use to support the wheels on jack stands to ease setting the bead. Stubborn beads need a ratchet strap. With the right technique you can use a bicycle pump, though an air compressor is obviously much less work.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I removed my old tires by breaking the beads, cutting out a 1 foot section of the tire with a box cutter (lube the blade with WD-40) leaving just the radial belts, then used a die grinder to cut the bands. It took 15 minutes per wheel. Removed the valve stems with side cuts.

I then installed the tires, one side only onto the rims (noting direction) and took it to my Local shop to let them do the rest. I watched them and kissed the machine they were using as it took only 2 minutes per wheel.

A finished mount AND balance was 20 bucks total, front and back. I was done with the whole process in less than 1.5 hours.

Tire mounting w/o the right tools is miserable. it is money well spent, and the correct equipment will protect your wheels, the finish, and save you the frustration...this is the only thing mechanically that really don't mind paying people to do.

by doing the same process I did, removing, cleaning and even installing tires half way, will save you a LOT of money, takes away the dirty work for them, gives you peace of mind that the rims are cleaned to your satisfaction...

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
How do you set the beads? I'd never pay to have a tire changed again if I knew how to do that with only a small air compressor.

Not easy depending on the brand of tyre.The budget tyres I use are a PITA to bead with my compressor hence took them to my car place.We had to use an old inner tube,bead one side,remove tube and fit tubeless valve.Right Royal PITA.My other tyres I used to use(Dunlops) were easy with a Ratchet strap.

My tyre bloke does mine for 5 beer tokens for his pocket

PS

I balance my tyres using a large round bar through the wheel and between two wheelie bins<grin> and stick on weights

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
It's all about practice. A C or G type clamp gets the job done. Some people have been using balancing beads and swear behind them. Good spoons or prybars and a non oily lubricant will make things going on and off easier.

With every tire it's a new experience. The last one I did was the only one that wouldn't seat right. I spent a lot of time at the gas station trying to get it right and then when I thought I was beat I wrapped a ratchet strap around the tire on the rubber and tightened it up. To tight and it wouldn't go but at the right spot my work was done.

Money alone if not for the help one dealer mounting a tire backwards and refusing to flip it to the right side for me convinced me that I was going to do the tires myself. They charged me $30 for doing the job wrong.

At $30 to me that's worth 3 hours in time. Changing a tire for me takes about an hour but I completely clean the rim so everything works fine.

The hardest part is getting an old dry tire off. Some of the worst tires I have taken off were 30 years old.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
An option you might have if you don't want to do it yourself is to find a group or club in your area that deals with track bikes since someone there always has a tire changer tool and will usually do tires a lot cheaper.

But I'm impatient and get bored in the middle of the night and often find myself stripping a rim down in the livingroom while watching tv.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I recently called the Honda dealer where I originally purchased my GL. They wanted $69 to mount & balance a tire (off the bike) if I purchased the tire from them, and $89 if I bought the tire elswehere. Talk about a rip-off! I changed it myself with a lot of cussing & a new character scar to my forehead thanks to a tire iron that slipped. I plan on doing the rear myself as well. Yes.. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I'm going to use the Dynabeads for balancing. It's different, but I have seen nothing negative about them yet.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
"PS

I balance my tyres using a large round bar through the wheel and between two wheelie bins<grin> and stick on weights "

What Shep sez is right. Balancing very accurately is really simple. I change all my own bike tires, but would not do anybody elses.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I recently called the Honda dealer where I originally purchased my GL. They wanted $69 to mount & balance a tire (off the bike) if I purchased the tire from them, and $89 if I bought the tire elswehere. Talk about a rip-off! I changed it myself with a lot of cussing & a new character scar to my forehead thanks to a tire iron that slipped. I plan on doing the rear myself as well. Yes.. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I'm going to use the Dynabeads for balancing. It's different, but I have seen nothing negative about them yet.

Sounds like a scam to me. And you know I went in there looking for some spitfires and they cost twice as much at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i certainly wont mess with it.20.00 euros to fit and balance.i do taxi runs to the airport,[in my spare time]30.00 euros......do i need the grief?

sometimes i get a tip and a kiss

·
Registered
967 Posts
The hardest part is getting an old dry tire off. Some of the worst tires I have taken off were 30 years old.

I totally agree. I was able to completely remove both original tires in about 1/2 an hour. Knowing how to do it now, it would probably take me about 8 minutes a piece with no damage to the rims. I will always remove tires this way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dirt bike shops in Oregon do them pretty cheap, but don't balance them. I built a balancer from plans off of the internet. It's kind of fun job the weights don't cost much - even stylish chrome plated ones.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've done about a dozen with my Harbor Freight Tire Changer. Just put a new set of tires on the Busa two weeks ago and it does NOT seem to get easier with practice. Keeping the tire within the recessed well of the wheel is the biggest pain and the lower the profile the more difficult. I'm going to invest in a No-Mar Yellow Thing which should make things easier next time.

My Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle adapter cost me about $70 bucks total on sale. Beads take seconds to break and I don't have to remove brake discs. Can't remember what I paid for my balancer but it was reasonable and accurate. I balance within 2 to 3 grams.

It's not something I look forward to but it's money well spent. Equipment paid for itself after the first rear tire change.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dilute some liquid soap with water for lube to remove and install. Warm rubber helps stubborn beads seat. Remove the schrader valve for maximum pressure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.