Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be changing tyres this weekend. I have read favourable reports on the balancing beads and will probably go that route. Since I have no balancing equipment and won't be balancing, I am wondering if I should leave the existing weights on or take them off to achieve the best starting balance. I am thinking leave them on.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You should remove the weights. When mounting the tire be sure to align the painted dot or circle on the tire with the valve stem. I use balancing beads on all my bikes and am very happy with them.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,438 Posts
I used to save the old weights and balance my tires & wheels by spinning them, mark the rim at the point that stopped at the bottom, spin again and if it always stopped the same way add weight to the point at the top and try again until it stopped randomly.
Then I learned about putting the dot next to the valve stem. I still checked the next few to make sure but they invariably stopped at random positions so after a few years I stopped checking.

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Just saw the yellow painted circle - will align as advised. I think I will run without the beads at first and then add if there is detectable imbalance when riding. I read lots of recommendations for these beads but I haven't read a clear explanation of the physics behind it. I would like to hear accounts of how these bead actively remediated a balance related wobble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts