Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out with the details of how to swap out the handlebars on a 1981 cx500? What steps should I take first, and more imortantly how do I take off the grips without ruining them.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
It's pretty simple to take the bars off. Under the fuse cover in the center of the bars there are 4 allen bolts on the head stock. Top of the clamp comes off, and bingo.

As to the grips, sometimes they are fiddly, and I know there have been posts with suggestions here. I've never done it myself, but a local guy helped me out when I changed my CX bars. It seemed I remember the throttle side was the trickiest, and took some work. Problem is I don't recall if any tricks were there, I guess I didn't pay that close of attention.

I've heard that spraying some W-D 40 or similar lube, and gently working a thin screwdriver to pry carefully will help. Maybe others will chime in with more info.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you're using the same grips, you won't need to take the grip off of the throttle tube. To get the tube off of the handlebars, simply move the handlebars around until the least amount of slack on the cables is found, and slide it off.

As for the left hand grip, I suggest removing it before removing the bars. I've found that liquid soap actually works wonders. Personally, I always remove the bars and let some liquid soap run in between the grip and the bars, and it comes right off. But most people find it easier to keep the bars on the bike so they have more leverage when trying to pull it off.

When putting the grips back on, try and find some sort of glue. I just recently installed some Oury grips and it recommended using 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. It's good stuff, just be sure you really like the grips because it'll pretty much make them permanent until it wears down a bit. Oh, and don't twist the grips when putting them on or they'll look all twisted pretty much permanently until you can break the glue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I find a air compressor to be the easiest way to remove grips. Just force the air under the grip edge and the grip will raise up and you can easily remove it. I have even had some shoot right off the bars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I find a air compressor to be the easiest way to remove grips. Just force the air under the grip edge and the grip will raise up and you can easily remove it. I have even had some shoot right off the bars.

ditto what he said.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Like others said, keep the throttle on and for taking off the left side I've always used windex or degreaser, it loosens the grip and cleans at the same time. The main thing to be careful of is when you remove the brake lever keep it level and have something you can tie it up with, don't let it drop and possibly break or spill brake fluid on your tank. Your allen bolts may or may not still have the plastic caps in them, I took mine out and left them out as they seem a bit useless to me. If you do have those still, just pry up with a small knife or screwdriver and they should pop right out. Also, I'm assuming you're changing to a different type/bend of bar? When you get the new one in don't tighten it down fully, just enough so it stays where you put it but still loose enough to move. That way you can sit on the bike and move it to where you feel best before you tighten it fully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.